Author Topic: integrating Avast 4 into WinXP SP-2 Security Centre  (Read 6777 times)

inversation

integrating Avast 4 into WinXP SP-2 Security Centre
« on: October 17, 2004, 12:58:42 PM »
Hey folks,

I just have a quick question, I did a clean install of windows with sp-2 integrated the other day, and after installing Avast AV 4, the Security Centre still did not recognise that a supported AV program had been installed. I've had some mixed reports from people concerning the integration with the Security Centre, and I was just wondering whether there is any known issue with it not being detected, and/or how I can enlighten my system to its presence?

Cheers,
Aaron

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:integrating Avast 4 into WinXP SP-2 Security Centre
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 02:42:51 PM »
Use the uninstall util from Avast's website to remove Avast, reboot and reinstall Avast. See if that solves it.

inversation

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 02:55:31 PM »
heh, thanks for the suggestion, but i've tried that one a few times already :P

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 04:55:37 PM »
Which version of avast are you trying to install?
Did you download the setup.exe recently?
Can you update avast database (VPS)?
The best things in life are free.

inversation

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004, 05:23:42 PM »
Avast 4 home
Downloaded the latest as of < 1 week ago
Updates perfectly fine

Just doesnt appear in security centre.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2004, 05:27:22 PM »
Strange...
Not a problem here.
Did you get any installation error?
Did you follow a custom installation and remove some providers?
Do you have the two avast! services running (Administrative Tools > Services)?
The best things in life are free.

inversation

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2004, 06:34:08 PM »
No installation errors, all went smoothly. I just did standard installations, all services and providers functioning normally.

Also, in discussing with one of my mates, he suggested it may be due to the fact that I am running a home network. So even though I am running XP, my server that controls the local domain (running Server 2003), may be to blame.

I don't entirely understand why the server would have an impact on local security (i dont remember applying any security policies to the clients on my LAN), but if it rings any bells for you guys and you can offer some suggestions, i'd be grateful.

Cheers,
Aaron

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2004, 09:36:30 PM »
So the Security Center is visible BUT indicates that no AV software is installed?

Or the Security Center does not show an entry for an AV at all?

Is the computer member of a domain?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

gary.lane

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2004, 09:38:07 PM »
I have three machines at home on a home network.  Two of them integrated into SP2's security centre just fine but I could not get the third to do so.  

I tried disabling and reinstalling the WMI service, deleting with AVClear, and a host of other suggestions which the forum here usefully supplied (see this thread).  In the end, I'm afraid I just told the Security Centre to stop checking for antivirus software so it stopped bugging me.  I'd be ijetrested in a solution that works but couldn't be bothered to spend any more time trying to track it down.

Not a helpful answer I know but it might save you some time.

inversation

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2004, 04:13:47 AM »
So the Security Center is visible BUT indicates that no AV software is installed?

Or the Security Center does not show an entry for an AV at all?

The latter, it has internet options, Windows Firewall, and Automatic Updates, but no AV listed anywhere.

And yes, it is a member of a local domain.

inversation

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2004, 03:41:33 PM »
Okay, solution found. Apologies to the friendly folk who tried to help, as it turns out it wasnt an Avast issue.

After further investigating about being a member of a domain, i discovered that the Security Centre is disabled by default. So, you're probably wondering how I could mistake that with an AV problem?

Unfortunately, Windows' idea of 'disabling the security centre' is to still have access to it, and make it look like its all peachy keen, it just doesnt give any _specific_ information. To get an idea of what i'm talking about, open it up, take a look. Mentally delete everything between the 'Security Essentials' paragraph, and the 'Manage Security Settings for:' section. Thats what its 'disabled' state is, hence my confusion.

So, to conclude, if anyone else has this issue, its easily resolved.
1) Make sure you are an administrator on the machine you want to enable it on
2) goto Start -> Run. type in 'gpedit.msc' (minus the '' marks), hit enter/click 'Ok'
3) Go to Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Securitry Centre. Double click on 'Turn on Security Centre (Domain PCs only). Select 'Enabled'. Click Ok.
4) Close, reboot. Done. When you open the security centre, it'll actually contain useful information. :P

Thanks again for all the support
Cheers,
Aaron