Author Topic: New user  (Read 4975 times)

sirMAXX

New user
« on: June 01, 2011, 07:06:08 AM »
i casually browse the web and i try to stay away from any potentially dangerous sites.  so after some digging, i think im set on avast being my antivirus. as far as freeware is concerned as the best it seems AVG, Avast and Avira are a matter of opinion.
one thing i would like to try for extra protection and peace-of-mind, when i get avast, should i get independent anti-spyware and firewall?  or is it ok on its own?  if there is other software that are beneficial companions and don't interfere what kind of suggestions would you have? i like my laptop and want to keep it running fast, and have a decent package ready to deliver a 1-2 K.O. if i accidentally receive a nasty virus.
also what do you think about the speedup my pc and registry booster programs?
my laptop is an Acer Aspire 5253, AMD E-350, 1.6GHz, 2Gb ram, windows 7
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 07:14:19 AM by sirMAXX »

yongsua

Re: New user
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 07:22:51 AM »
You can have Malwarebytes Antimalware and Hitman PRO(quite a lot of false Positive) as your on demand scanners.Quick scan with them weekly.To speed up your PC,I have no idea but you can have CCleaner and Auslogic Registry Cleaner in your computer to improve the performance of your computer.

sirMAXX

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 07:32:41 AM »
ok thank you :)  i got both from cnet and ready to setup.  i've seen malwarebytes before.  so when i have these two at the ready, should i have them turned off, so they don't scan in real time and would i still something else as a firewall?
oh, hey i like the computer specs as your signature, thats a good idea.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 07:34:35 AM by sirMAXX »

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 07:35:50 AM »
Hello sirMAXX and welcome to the forum.

Since you have Windows 7 as your OS, you can stay with the Windows 7 firewall (FW), which will provide you with excellent protection.

As for adding other layers of protection, I suggest the following as previously mentioned:

- MBAM (Malwarebytes): http://www.malwarebytes.org/ - either free (on-demand) or Pro (one time paid for resident protection)

- CCleaner: a free system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool.  There is a Slim version available as well at http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds – scroll down.  It removes unused files (cache, temporary Internet files, etc.) from your system, allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space.  It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history.  Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner.   There is no need for another registry cleaner to bog down your machine.

Additionally, you do not need a defrag with Windows 7, but if you really want one, Puran is a great tool since is also does a regular defrag as well as a boot-time defrag http://www.puransoftware.com/.

You do not need HitmanPro since this is now considered outdated according to our malware removal experts who use other tools like OTS.  Others may disagree with me, but I assist enough with malware removal, and this is just my opinion.

You should be fine with the bolded tools above in addition to Avast.  Enjoy your new machine.  Let us know if you have any other additional questions.  :)

yongsua

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 07:37:58 AM »
should i have them turned off, so they don't scan in real time?

No,you must download the free Malwarebytes antimalware because it only consists of detecting and removing malware capabilities in the free version.Besides,remember to update your virus definition before you perform any scan.For Hitman PRo,same too but its free virus removal service is only available for 30days and you need to pay for it to remove malware in the future.Anyway,it will still detect virus for you free.

yongsua

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 07:40:01 AM »

You do not need HitmanPro since this is now considered outdated according to our malware removal experts who use other tools like OTS.  Others may disagree with me, but I assist enough with malware removal, and this is just my opinion.

???

SafeSurf

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 07:45:27 AM »
Check the information on the first post of this thread under Virus/Worms for you to check your machine for malware: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0.  The other security forums (see links) used OTL and now OTS instead.  But if the user is seriously having problems, I recommend that they do Avast scans first and MBAM scans, then come here for suggestions where we can help them and perhaps refer them to our Certified Malware Removal Expert, who does an excellent job. :)

yongsua

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 07:48:55 AM »
Check the information on the first post of this thread under Virus/Worms for you to check your machine for malware: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0.  The other security forums (see links) used OTL and now OTS instead.  But if the user is seriously having problems, I recommend that they do Avast scans first and MBAM scans, then come here for suggestions where we can help them and perhaps refer them to our Certified Malware Removal Expert, who does an excellent job. :)

Ya,especially Essexboy.He is so expert but I have no chance and hope to learn it from GeeksToGo.They even removed my application form.I am not that qualify yet.

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 07:58:52 AM »
Off-Topic: We can all learn from him.  Now back to on-topic or wait for the OP to respond.  ;)

BTW yongsua, I sent you a PM a while ago.

sirMAXX

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 10:17:40 AM »
what is OTS?

SafeSurf

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 11:20:26 AM »
what is OTS?
OTS is a tool used by malware removal professionals.  This is not something an ordinary user would put on their machine unless instructed to do so in helping to diagnose a problem with malware or suspected malware removal.

LunarWolf

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 07:22:06 PM »
Use the following setup up.

avast Free v6
Online Armor free v5
Sandboxie free
Malwarebytes
Eset Online Scanner
Panda USB Vaccine Portable
Winpatrol free
Neo's Safekeys
Lastpass
ClearCloud DNS

Browser :
-Firefox with WOT, ad blocker plus
-Google Chrome with WOT, ad blocker
-Updated Java and flash

SafeSurf

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 10:23:11 AM »
@ LunarWolf, but heavier on the system.

The OP only has 2Gb RAM (I would suggest adding another 2Gb minimum).  Since Avast comes with AutoSandbox, it is up to the OP if he want to disable it and get Sandboxie.  Avast is also going to include the Virus portion into the WebRep, which would replace WOT (untrusted by many).

I do agree that using Panda's USB Vaccine is a good idea as I use it myself, as well as adding add-on's to your browser(s), see my Signature as an example.  http://research.pandasecurity.com/panda-usb-and-autorun-vaccine/

You can also scan your machine to see if your software is up to date free Secunia Software Inspector PSI http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/.  Many of us here do this weekly since software changes so quickly, and having outdated software is an easy way for malware to get in your machine.  This site also gives you the vendor's direct download link if an upgrade is needed to patch the software making it easy to fix.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 01:02:59 PM »
Well the autosandbox only uses resources if you have it run something in the sandbox. The actual processor is more likely to be a restriction as it is no racehorse and adding extra RAM to a laptop may not be possible if it only has one slot and may not support a single 4GB memory stick.

If it does have two RAM slots, it would certainly help all round performance as 2GB for win7 I think is light. My netbook with win7 starter, an Intel 1.5GHz dual core atom CPU and only 1GB was a pathetic specimen. I had ordered a 2GB RAM stick before I even received my new netbook and once installed helped a lot, but it will never be a racehorse. I don't believe that will support a single 4GB RAM stick.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 01:08:19 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security