Author Topic: Avast AIS and The June Windows 7 Second Tuesday Update  (Read 5777 times)

Nesivos

Avast AIS and The June Windows 7 Second Tuesday Update
« on: June 14, 2011, 11:47:47 PM »
I just updated my three computers see sig below.

The x32 had some problems but eventually Windows 7 got it straightened out and everything is fine.

On one x64 I got two Popup notifications from IMF during the Update Install process.  Figuring that the popup was triggered by the change to a critical Registry entry I let them through without checking the Remember box.  My thinking being that the popup is generated when there is an attempted change to the specific Registry entry so I don't want to turn the Popup off on this and want to continue to see any intended changes to these two Registry entries before allowing them.

On the second x64 which is internally very similar to the other x64 I also got two Popup notifications during the install process.  One of them was generated again by IMF though I don't recall if it was the same Registry entry that generated one of the Popups on the first computer.  So I proceeded on the second x64 as I had on the first x64 with respect to handling of the Popup.

The second Popup on the second x64 was an Avast Popup.  Sorry I don't recall what it said.   I just said Allow and the Windows 7 update completed without problem.

No problems on either x64 so far.  In fact they appear to be starting Windows and loading Startup Applications faster than before the update was downloaded and installed.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 11:50:28 PM by Nesivos »

iroc9555

Re: Avast AIS and The June Windows 7 Second Tuesday Update
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 12:57:38 AM »
Nesivos.

I have not got my updates yet but I know it is massive. 16 or so updates, at least for Win XP.

People running Win7 do not have that many Avast alerts, but last Microsoft Tuesday I got a dozen alerts by the Behavior Shield alone.

See alerts from last month. It is the Spanish forum, but you can see the files that trigered the alerts, all of them .temp files when installing patches. On the other hand, tech, running Win7 did not get any alert.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=76168.msg630926#msg630926

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 12:59:45 AM »
On the other hand, tech, running Win7 did not get any alert.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=76168.msg630926#msg630926
I'm downloading the updates now and will test again.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 02:43:52 AM »
I've installed all the updates, with autosandbox and behavior shield set to "ask".
Nothing. Not just one question. All updates have been installed on W7 32bits.
The best things in life are free.

cadremis

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 02:51:16 AM »
I've installed all the updates, with autosandbox and behavior shield set to "ask".

I didn't have any problem either in my two computers... no questions at all by Avast autosandbox and behavior shield.

iroc9555

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 03:27:06 AM »

Tech.

Good for you  :D

cadremis.

I didn't have any problem either in my two computers... no questions at all by Avast autosandbox and behavior shield.

I see in your sig that one of your machines is XP. I will wait until tomorrow for better Internet speed for my downloads and hope I will not get all the alerts I had last month.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 03:29:49 AM by iroc9555 »

Nesivos

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 07:12:33 AM »
This is one of those computer things that is hard to reproduce and remains a mystery.

I trust the Windows download.  Maybe I have some malware that was affected by the update.

In any case for now I will take the "No harm, no foul" approach.  As long as everything continues to work fine I will just go on and not worry about it. :)

Thanks for checking :)

DBone

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 07:24:05 AM »
12 updates and no problems here.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 07:59:44 AM »
14 updates on one system and 15 on the other for me with no issues or alerts from avast at all  :)

kariuro

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 05:37:57 PM »
15 updates installed to one computer without avast alerts.  :)

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 06:55:02 PM »
11 Windows updates here.  After restart, I updated to the new releases of Adobe Reader, Shockwave Flash, and Shockwave for Director.  Nary a peep from Avast Free.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

12-es_csaj

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 08:18:07 PM »
No problems on 64bits (see my sig) - but I use the FREE version.

Offline RZPogi

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 08:34:03 PM »
No problems here except that I cannot connect to any website or update avast manually during the windows updates' installation process.
DESKTOP: Win 10, Avast 20 Free, Windows firewall, Malwarebytes free

LAPTOP: Win 10, Windows Defender, Malwarebytes free, Windows Firewall, Mcshield

Nesivos

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 12:48:42 AM »
One of the reasons that I may have gotten the avast! Popup message during the install and no one else has could be do to the fact that I have done an Image Restore as well as a Registry Restore that latter which I shouldn't have done on the computer that gave me the Popup and the MSFT update might having been trying to change something that Avast didn't think should be changed.

It could also be do to the mix of MSFT products that I am running like Silverlight, net.Framework etc that others may not be running and that if others were running the mix of software that I am they too may have gotten an avast! Popup.

So far everything still seems to working okay on that computer since the update.  We shall see.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 12:50:49 AM by Nesivos »

iroc9555

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 04:04:14 AM »
Not so lucky. >:(

Running XP pro_86 Spk3. Avast 6 Free. Behavior Shield set to ask, Autosandbox too.

Got 15 Micrsoft updates, counting MSRT. 2 or 3 alerts from Behavior Shield when Microsoft Office updates were installing, and more than 30 alerts, also Behavior Shield, when .NET Framework patches were installing. Like last month trigered by installer\.temp files.