Author Topic: avast firewall and windows firewall running at the same time?!!  (Read 4770 times)

Offline ams963

• Personal Message (Offline)
Hi,

For about a year I used comodo firewall with avast free anitvirus. When I installed the firewall, windows firewall was automatically turned off. I checked the security centre.

Now, about a month ago I installed avast internet security. Everything was running fine as expected. No slowdowns. That is until an hour ago. When I went to my win xp security centre I saw that win firewall is turned on and when I clicked the tab, it said that at least one firewall is turned on. And in the note it said Running more than one firewall can cause conflict between each other.

I quickly turned off win firewall. Now it says that avast internet security firewall is turned on.

I wonder how I continued to use two firewalls at the same time for a month. This is because I expected avast to turn off win firewall automatically as comodo firewall did previously. As a result I never checked it.

My question is why did avast not turn off the win firewall after it was installed? And also, now that I've been running two firewalls at the same time, do you think it has caused any harm otherwise unnoticed to my pc or avast itself?
Protected by : avast! Internet Security
Scanned by : MBAM ------- Hitman Pro
Backed up by : ADrive ------ SkyDrive ------ Box ------ Keriver 1-Click Restore

Offline JuninhoSlo

• avast! Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: avast firewall and windows firewall running at the same time?!!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 02:24:41 PM »
Hi,

For about a year I used comodo firewall with avast free anitvirus. When I installed the firewall, windows firewall was automatically turned off. I checked the security centre.

Now, about a month ago I installed avast internet security. Everything was running fine as expected. No slowdowns. That is until an hour ago. When I went to my win xp security centre I saw that win firewall is turned on and when I clicked the tab, it said that at least one firewall is turned on. And in the note it said Running more than one firewall can cause conflict between each other.

I quickly turned off win firewall. Now it says that avast internet security firewall is turned on.

I wonder how I continued to use two firewalls at the same time for a month. This is because I expected avast to turn off win firewall automatically as comodo firewall did previously. As a result I never checked it.

My question is why did avast not turn off the win firewall after it was installed? And also, now that I've been running two firewalls at the same time, do you think it has caused any harm otherwise unnoticed to my pc or avast itself?

You can use Avast firewall and Microsoft firewall together. ;)

PS:I use only Avast firewall

Offline craigb

• avast! Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 02:29:01 PM »
The avast firewall was made to work with the windows firewall which is why it is not disabled but if you wish to disable it you can as it's not affected either way but you may save a few resources.
Windows 8.1 Pro X64/ IE 11/ Avast 9.0.2018/ MBAM Premium 2.0.2

Offline ams963

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 02:53:49 PM »
The avast firewall was made to work with the windows firewall which is why it is not disabled but if you wish to disable it you can as it's not affected either way but you may save a few resources.
Thanks for assuring me that no harm is done to my dear pc.

You can use Avast firewall and Microsoft firewall together. ;)

PS:I use only Avast firewall

are you guys actually suggesting that avast firewall and windows firewall can be run at the same time?

Offline DavidR

• avast! Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 02:56:03 PM »
They are, because it was tested for compatibility during development.
Core2Duo E8300/ 4GB Ram/ WinXP ProSP3/ avast! free 2014 9.0.2018/ Outpost Firewall Pro9.1/ Firefox 28.0, NoScript, RequestPolicy/ MailWasher Pro/ DropMyRights/ MalwareBytes AntiMalware Premium 2.0.1/ WinPatrol+/ Drive Image 7.1/ SnagIt 10.0/ avast! mobile security

Offline ams963

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 03:21:34 PM »
Then will using the two firewalls together increase my pc's security or will my avast firewall do just fine as a standalone?

Offline JuninhoSlo

• avast! Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 03:26:57 PM »
Then will using the two firewalls together increase my pc's security or will my avast firewall do just fine as a standalone?

Yes you can use Avast firewall as standalone firewall you will save a few resources.

Offline DavidR

• avast! Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 03:29:39 PM »

I don't think that there would be a noticeable difference in security but there are features which compliment avast. Currently IVP6 support in the windows firewall, which isn't in the current avast firewall. But IVP6 is still some time away from being absolutely essential.

I doubt there would be a really noticeable gain in system resources by disabling the windows firewall.
Core2Duo E8300/ 4GB Ram/ WinXP ProSP3/ avast! free 2014 9.0.2018/ Outpost Firewall Pro9.1/ Firefox 28.0, NoScript, RequestPolicy/ MailWasher Pro/ DropMyRights/ MalwareBytes AntiMalware Premium 2.0.1/ WinPatrol+/ Drive Image 7.1/ SnagIt 10.0/ avast! mobile security

Offline ams963

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 03:56:30 PM »
So let me get this clear, you guys are not recommending using the two firewalls together but there are no incompatibilities, right? Well, I thought one was not supposed to use to firewalls at the same time(except for the new suites like Webroot cloud antivirus which does include a firewall and is built to either compliment another fw or be used as a standalone), specially in the case of strong firealls that are part of a suite like avast internet security.

What I understand is the firewall which is a part of the avast internet security is compatible with ain xp firewall but does not compliment xp firewall in any way. Am I right?

In that case, I'm better off using avast fw as a standalone.

Offline DavidR

• avast! Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 04:25:31 PM »
No one is recommending not running both together as there aren't any compatibility issues, avast doesn't turn off the windows firewall when it is installed.

What we won't do 'is tell you what to do,' that is a decision you have to make.

Offline Tech

• avast! team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 05:06:35 PM »
Windows firewall will only add ipv6 protection only. Do you use ipv6?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Corsair

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 12:50:43 AM »
General Question: why would ever need to run avast! firewall and windows firewall at the same time?

Isn't this the equivalent of running two AV's at the same time?
avast! 6 Free 6.0.1203 with Comodo (Firewall Only) 5.5.195786.1383
System: Dell Inspiron 8600 - OS: Windows XP SP3 - CPU: Intel Pentium M 745 - RAM: 1GB - HDD: 60GB - Video Card: 128MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600 PRO

Offline Gargamel360

• avast! Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Memento Mori
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 01:15:17 AM »
General Question: why would ever need to run avast! firewall and windows firewall at the same time?
ipv6, not supported by Avast! firewall, is supported by Windows Firewall.

Isn't this the equivalent of running two AV's at the same time?
Nope. Not nearly as volatile. Especially not when they are considered compatible. One possible downside is if you have any connectivity problems for a program, you have twice the troubleshooting to do, but that is about all to worry about in this situation.

Signature?  But I gots no pen....

Offline Corsair

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 01:25:48 AM »
Ah. Cheers mate.
avast! 6 Free 6.0.1203 with Comodo (Firewall Only) 5.5.195786.1383
System: Dell Inspiron 8600 - OS: Windows XP SP3 - CPU: Intel Pentium M 745 - RAM: 1GB - HDD: 60GB - Video Card: 128MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600 PRO

Offline ams963

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 01:44:46 PM »
Windows firewall will only add ipv6 protection only. Do you use ipv6?
I don't know what ipv6 is. But I'm sure whatever it is, as avast has not included this protection in their firewall I need not worry about it. I trust avast very much. They would have included the protection if it was really harmful.
So I'll continue to use avast fw as a standalone.

Google Chrome

AVAST recommends using the FREE Google Chrome™ browser.

Download Google Chrome Now