Author Topic: V 6.0.1289 - Has the BSOD problem been resolved?  (Read 7510 times)

rubybear

V 6.0.1289 - Has the BSOD problem been resolved?
« on: September 19, 2011, 07:46:45 AM »
Has the BSOD problem been resolved?  The one that people say has an error code of “Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL”. 

I’m afraid to update to version 6.0.1289 until I’m sure my computer isn’t going to crash because of it.  I’m not real tech savvy, and have no idea how to access those ’memory dumps’ people have been mentioning.  Not that any of that information has yielded a solution that has been shared with the rest of us, anyway.  Has Avast fixed whatever is causing some computers to get the BSOD, or not?  I haven’t seen any posts saying the issue has been resolved yet.

I have Windows XP Home Edition, SP3
My Avast version is 6.0.1203

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
Re: V 6.0.1289 - Has the BSOD problem been resolved?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 08:02:10 AM »
I hope this helps.

I had BSODs on just the one XP Pro SP3 PC with all versions of AIS 6. The problem disappeared with 6.0.1203 and I have so far had no further BSOD problems on any machine or Windows OS with 6.0.1289.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 08:03:31 AM »
The only way your going to know is by trying it, its only a very small percentage of people that got a BSOD i believe, 99% are fine.

You can install over the top ( update from within the GUI ) or a clean install, try updating first via the maintainence tab, you should then be asked to reboot.

Scoulzer

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 11:11:17 AM »
I have the same problem with BSOD. Toshiba Satellite L40 Laptop - HP Windows Proffesional SP3. Version Avast Free 6.0.1289. Established a system a week ago and has already appeared on the second day of BSOD. Today the same thing, I think Avast is the problem, before half a year was a different anti-virus and BSOD has not appeared. Maybe the problem is in the drivers? I do not want to remove Avast.
And where to send the file Minidump, for verification. Can be solve this problem.

ady4um

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 11:35:34 AM »
Avast KB article:

My computer restarts or displays a Critical Error message (Blue Screen)

located at:

http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=87&nav=0

HansAV

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 01:50:31 PM »
Great.
And when the crash is so solid that no minidumps are created, you´re s.. out of luck.  >:(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 02:05:56 PM »
HansAV, are you trying to help? ???

Rubybear, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=84989.msg690118#msg690118.
The best things in life are free.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 02:07:11 PM »
Great.
And when the crash is so solid that no minidumps are created, you´re s.. out of luck.  >:(
If you've got nothing informative and helpful to add to to this thread and the other thread you just posted in then dont bother posting  ::)

rubybear

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 06:00:09 AM »
Sorry for the delayed reply - I wasn’t able to get on my computer for a couple of days.  Thanks for all the posts.

The only way your going to know is by trying it, its only a very small percentage of people that got a BSOD i believe, 99% are fine.

Taking a chance that it won’t happen to my computer is a lot to gamble on.  I could be left with no Avast protection at all.  From all the discussions I’ve seen here, all I can do is uninstall version 6.0.1289 and try to reinstall it.  Most people aren’t having much luck with that, and are then left with no antivirus protection.

I’ve seen posts that say you can download version 6.0.1203 from file hippo.com.  However, I’ve searched for it there, and can‘t find it.  If there is another site, can someone provide the link for me?

I want to keep Avast, I think it’s the best anti-virus out there, but it won’t do me any good if I can’t update to the latest version.  Is the Avast team working on this apparent bug, or are XP users out of luck?

Windows XP Home Edition, SP3
Avast version 6.0.1203

Rixuel

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 06:05:29 AM »
I've got more BSoDs in the version 1203.

In the version 1289, so far, I've no BSoD yet.

BSoDs were always the cause of aswSP.sys

According to Vlk, its stability was been improved.

Here's a list of most important changes:
- New Script Shield - now scanning deeper and supporting more host processes
- Web Shield now scanning all processes by default
- Stability improvements in aswSP.sys
- Better tracking of file sources
- WebRep now working in new versions of Firefox
- Under-the-hood improvements in the Behavior Shield and Sandbox modules
- Solved a compatibility problem with certain Steam-based games
- Minor improvements in the product UI
- Various other security and stability related fixes

So I guess there will be less BSoD for now.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 07:02:12 AM »
Simply by typing avast in the filehippo searchbar will bring you discoverys http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/ not recommended to use older versions though and you may also get repeted warnings that you are using an old version and be prompted to upgrade.

ady4um

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 11:55:54 AM »
@rubybear,

There are some problems with some systems. However, the improvements in stability and less conflicts from 6.0.1203 (your current) to 6.0.1289 (the current latest available) are specially relevant for XP (your OS).

About filehippo.com, you first go to the "Avast" relevant page -> download, and only *then* you can see on the right side of your screen the several older stable versions of the Free edition. Just to be clear, I'm NOT recommending using an old version.

If you happen to have some conflict, stability problem, or any other concern, you would have at least 2 possibilities:

- run the clean removal utility of Avast and install an older version (now that you know where to get them); or

- open a new topic here and ask for help, which, in spite of the "looks" of it, most users don't even need help, and from those that need help, most of them can find a successful solution / workaround :).

YoKenny

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 02:52:41 PM »
Windows XP Home Edition, SP3
Avast version 6.0.1203

Please see:
How to invoke memory dump creation?
http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71

The latest avast! version 1289 has improved BSOD problems.

Xar

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 06:10:39 AM »
 I also had a BSOD on my backup computer that ran XP but it stopped when I upgraded to 6.0.1203. It came back one upgrade version later (although I'm not sure of version #). It has since stopped after a complete uninstall and installing a later version. I guess that's not really helpful for you..I looked into the problem every way I could and could not find the problem either.