Author Topic: Pro 4.8 Pop-Up Upgrade Message  (Read 6634 times)

Dewg

Pro 4.8 Pop-Up Upgrade Message
« on: September 20, 2011, 01:22:11 AM »
Today my users are receiving a pop-up window every few hours that Avast 6 is available and asking my 4.8 Pro users to upgrade at a reduced price.

Please turn this upgrade message off - my 4.8 license is good for several more months and I don't need users clicking on things or swamping my help desk with calls about "Do I upgrade this?"  "What is this message?"  "Why won't it stop bringing this message up?!!?"

Thanks!

- Dewg

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Pro 4.8 Pop-Up Upgrade Message
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 01:28:25 AM »
if they have a valid license then the upgrade to avast 6 is free  (does not run on W98 )

Dewg

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 02:24:57 AM »
That's not the solution - we're not upgrading to the new version as BP is not ready yet for our environment.

These messages need to be disabled - they're coming up every few hours for over 100 users in 8 offices.  Seems every time Avast is doing a virus database update these windows come up.

Here is the window that is coming up:

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 03:56:02 AM »
Just to note that avast 4.8 support is ending, sooner or later, even sooner than later :)
By the way, which is the avast 4.8 Pro license period for your computers? I mean, when would it end?
The best things in life are free.

galraith77

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 04:08:44 AM »
Exactly! What the heck is this? This annoying popup started today and I have gotten it at least four times now.

I was in the middle of an online multiplayer RTS game and this BS popup caused my game to minimize. Then it occurred a few other times later in the day!

I want this problem removed. I will not continue using Avast, now or in the future if I see this again. Absolutely ludicrous to have an anti-virus basically act as annoying and counter-productive as a virus or worm. What are you folks smoking over there?

This popup is not triggered by anti-virus updates because I do my virus database updates manually. Secondly, my Avast subscription doesn't expire until December 2011. Is this going to occur until I "renew my subscription"? Really?

I can tell you right now, no renewal here... I will just go find a better anti-virus program, one that doesn't cause my computer to act like it's already infected.

Thirdly, I run my computer optimally for gaming (tri SLI, etc). I do not want a bunch of additional garbage running in the background as often found in "security suite" packages.

Real bad call there folks. Right up there with the recent Netflix fiasco. Never try to shove something down a customer's throat, particularly mine.

Sean

ady4um

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 09:23:52 AM »
Although I don't have a solution to the real annoying problem, and I do share the feeling about this type of intrusions, I'd like to add a sidenote.

The silent/gaming mode in Avast 6.0 is used for part of the situations described by galraith77, but I honestly don't remember if this possibility was already there in v4.8.

My second comment is about updates. Even if the user selects to update manually, Avast may check for availability of database updates anyway. This depends on the specific settings. So, the possibility that this is chained with Avast checking for updates shouldn't be discarded.

As I said, this unfortunately doesn't really solve anything, specially for Dewg, the OP :( .

DJ Coolshaker

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 08:17:09 PM »
i have a solution who stop this for once and all till the next version comeout and a new popup exe is made.

I give ye the solution when ye send me im.

greats

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 08:26:14 PM »
AS I replied in your other post:
A somewhat unusual request for a newbie, but also one that you can't use as the send/reply feature in the PM function until you have 20 posts. This is one of a number of anti-spam measures in the forums.

If someone had the problem and also didn't have 20 posts, they couldn't send and if they had you couldn't reply. That would force them down the send PM with their email in it and that is something I wouldn't recommend anyone do. No offence, but no one knows you from Adam.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DJ Coolshaker

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 09:04:09 PM »
yes i cant help then here to, but  strange that in english forum are 20 posts needed and in my natal language only one is enougth.

Modifyd to get links out :P

Thxs DavidR
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 11:03:19 PM by DJ Coolshaker »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 10:29:13 PM »
Hush, someone might hear and change that ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DJ Coolshaker

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 11:01:48 PM »
aaaaam i gonna mod the previous message imediatly, u rigth lol

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 02:39:43 AM »
the message steal focus and it's really annoying , please show it once week or 14 days don't Torture users with it N times day

the result will be exactly opposite, the owner of that computer will BE SO ANGRY on avast he will get Avira or BitDefender or AVG or else ...

i seen this in action myself on old tablet PC running old wXP and the owner is unhappy like hell cause Avast 6 is causing troubles to him
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

DJ Coolshaker

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 01:01:38 PM »
ok, i gonna give ye the solution to this issue.

be the way it works with every file u dont wanna have execute on ur computer.

To disable this message. You have to do the following:

Right click the avast icon in the taskbar and click Settings program ... Then click on Troubleshooting and tick Disable self defense of avast.

Step1:
Creation of regulated access IR:
Go or Control Panel>> Tools of administration>> Local Security Policy
Right click sure "Software Restriction Policies">> new security strategy
Right click "Supplemental Rules">> setting new hash
copy / paste link C: \ Program Files \ Alwil Software \ Avast4 \ asw6Noti.exe
Security Level: Disallowed

Step2:
Start>> Run

write: cmd
Press Enter

a window opens, now write

cacls "Press Enter"
cd C: \ Program Files \ Alwil Software \ Avast4 "press Enter"
cacls asw6Noti.exe "press Enter"
now u see a list off users and ther acces rigths
tipe now follow:

cacls asw6Noti.exe /T /E /P "Name/Name":N "press Enter"
Do this steps with every user listed.

(do this step with ur Admin account at last)

to controll if settings have taken over:
cacls asw6Noti.exe "press Enter"

You should now see a list with an "N" at the end.

something like that:
BUILTIN/BUILTIN: N
BUILTIN/Administrators: N
BUILTIN/Power Users: N
NT AUTHORITY/System: N
BUILTIN/Users: N

The "N" means no access rights. Avast 4.8 can no longer execute this file.

Close window CMD.

Reactivate the module of avast self-defense and reboot.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 01:06:16 PM by DJ Coolshaker »