Author Topic: Avast Not Updating  (Read 10243 times)

happy avast user

Avast Not Updating
« on: September 20, 2011, 10:49:49 PM »
Hi,

I having problems with avast updating,I have avast FREE Antivirus 6.0.1289 on my PC and I notice that it is not updating.
I have Engine and Virus Definitions Settings set to Automatically update.

When I found that the Virus Definitions were out of date, I tried to update them manually but failed.
I then uninstalled and reinstalled avast FREE and the Virus Definitions were updated when program was installed.
I then discovered that there was another update and the latest Definitions update I have is 110920-1, but I had to do another manual update...  Why is avast not updating Automatically?
Has anyone else had this problem today?? 20/09/11

happy avast user.

Offline giogio

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Avast Not Updating
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 10:55:32 PM »
Avast by default check an update every 240 minutes.. and you can set another value under Settings->Updates.
Are you sure is not updating automatically?
Prima di scrivere sul forum per favore leggi le istruzioni qui https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=144453.0
Non inviatemi MP per supporto,grazie-No support PM please
Home: E8400-4GB RAM-500GB HDD-Win10.0.15063x64-Avast! Free 17.3.2291-CryptoPrevent-MBAM 2.2free-Chrome 57(uBlock origin)-TB52
Work: i5-2400-4GB RAM-500GB HDD-Win 7sp1x64-Avast!Business Security 12.3.2515,     
Cloud Console 2.18
-FF52-TB52

ady4um

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 11:15:40 PM »
I notice that it is not updating.

Please answer this (thanks in advance). How did you notice that it was not updating? Did you see any kind of "exclamation mark" or "unsecured" or some kind of message? Or was just a coincidence?

Could you please tell what was the previous database applied when you first noticed it was not updating?

When I found that the Virus Definitions were out of date, I tried to update them manually but failed.
I then uninstalled and reinstalled avast FREE and the Virus Definitions were updated when program was installed.
I then discovered that there was another update and the latest Definitions update I have is 110920-1, but I had to do another manual update...  Why is avast not updating Automatically?

Sorry for this question: after reinstalling, have you rebooted? You can also delete firewall rules, reboot and your firewall should eventually ask you for permissions again for Avast related processes (avast.setup, avastui.exe, avastsvc.exe...).

happy avast user

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 11:24:36 PM »
Hi giogio,

Yes I'm positive that avast is not updating Automatically.  I have set update settings to 120 minutes from default 240 minutes.

happy avast user

Gargamel360

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 11:32:02 PM »
If 110920-1 is the definition update you currently have, then you are up-to-date.  Sounds like Avast! is only...."confused".  I have seen such a problem posted here before.

happy avast user

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 12:05:45 AM »
I notice that it is not updating.

Please answer this (thanks in advance). How did you notice that it was not updating? Did you see any kind of "exclamation mark" or "unsecured" or some kind of message? Or was just a coincidence?

Could you please tell what was the previous database applied when you first noticed it was not updating?

Sorry for this question: after reinstalling, have you rebooted? You can also delete firewall rules, reboot and your firewall should eventually ask you for permissions again for Avast related processes (avast.setup, avastui.exe, avastsvc.exe...).

I noticed there was not updating by opening avast UI and noticed that the Definitions were out of date and tried to update from the UI but failed, untinstalled it rebooted and reinstalled it.
After the reinstall I did another reboot.  
I definitely had NO warning signs to say Virus Definitions were out of date.

happy avast user

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 12:17:28 AM »
If 110920-1 is the definition update you currently have, then you are up-to-date.  Sounds like Avast! is only...."confused".  I have seen such a problem posted here before.

Thanks for letting me know that 110920-1 is the latest update which I have, the strange thing I found is that avast was updating Virus Definitions Automatically yesterday and today I had to manually update it and this is even after uninstall then reboot followed by a clean install and a reboot..

happy avast user

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 05:50:41 PM »
Hello all,

Can anyone please tell me what the latest Avast Virus Definitions are?
I have 110921-0

Thanks happy avast user :)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 05:53:28 PM »

happy avast user

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 06:03:10 PM »
bookmark this   http://www.avast.com/en-no/virus-update-history

Thanks Pondus, really appreciate it. Been having trouble with my avast NOT updating, so just wanted to make sure I was up to date and protected. :)

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 06:09:15 PM »
Hi giogio,

Yes I'm positive that avast is not updating Automatically.  I have set update settings to 120 minutes from default 240 minutes.

happy avast user
Hm...changing from 240 minutes to 120 minutes?
Will the automatic update still work ???

happy avast user

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 06:18:45 PM »
Hi giogio,

Yes I'm positive that avast is not updating Automatically.  I have set update settings to 120 minutes from default 240 minutes.

happy avast user
Hm...changing from 240 minutes to 120 minutes?
Will the automatic update still work ???
  Hi yes the automatic update does work when I set it to 120 mins had it on this setting for ages.

uzxeL

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 12:05:02 AM »
.,turn off siLent/gaming mode,.  ::)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 04:30:08 AM »
.,turn off siLent/gaming mode,.  ::)
What for  ???

uzxeL

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 12:58:27 AM »
.,i thought maybe you're pertaining avast isn't updating just because it won't display notification or popups,, you know, to remind you it's up to date,.