Author Topic: My Avast! Free Antivirus' Real Time Shield  (Read 6644 times)

Chibiyuki

My Avast! Free Antivirus' Real Time Shield
« on: October 07, 2011, 07:29:14 PM »
I need immediate help. My Avast! Free Antivirus' Real Time Shield is turned off. But when I try to click the "Fix Now" button, nothing happens. I also tried clicking the "Turn On" button but it still, nothing happens. I'm now worried that my PC will be prone to viruses as well as what happened to my PC before that i needed to format it 5 times due to viruses.

Please do help me ASAP.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: My Avast! Free Antivirus' Real Time Shield
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 07:41:22 PM »
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro. Or even upgrade your key from old versions.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.
The best things in life are free.

ady4um

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 08:15:04 PM »
I need immediate help. My Avast! Free Antivirus' Real Time Shield is turned off. But when I try to click the "Fix Now" button, nothing happens. I also tried clicking the "Turn On" button but it still, nothing happens. I'm now worried that my PC will be prone to viruses as well as what happened to my PC before that i needed to format it 5 times due to viruses.

Please do help me ASAP.

You need to reboot so the "fix" takes effect.

Chibiyuki

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 10:06:15 AM »
Hello again,

I did the step which i need to uninstall and re-install Avast! Free Antivirus. But when I re-installed it, the same thing still happens. There goes "Your system is not fully protected. Please use the Fix Now button to start fully protecting your system". Then I clicked the Fix Now button and restarted it hoping that the software goes well. But the same thing still happens. Please help me about this problem, thanks.

ady4um

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 12:20:05 PM »
Was this problem also happening before? Or this happened since the first time you installed Avast?

Is you system's clock set correctly?

Which EXACT OS do you have (including x32/x64 and SPx)?

Are you instaling the Free edition of Avast, or the free trials?

Use the removal utility http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility directly under Windows Safe Mode, selecting the correct folder and version of Avast.

If you had more than one version (like from updating from version 5 to 6 ) then reboot AGAIN into Safe Mode and run the utility AGAIN selecting the other version of Avast (please do not skip the reboot in between). Repeat for each version you ever had.

When you download ANEW the latest Avast version, select the setup.exe, click properties -> unblock.

If you have or HAD security tools before Avast, you should also run their specific removal tools, and also directly under Windows Safe Mode. Some removal utilities for security tools are located at http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/.

Chibiyuki

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 06:16:59 PM »
This is my first time to use Avast! Free Antivirus as my friend referred it to me.

my time and date are correct.

I use Windows XP SP3 32bit.

I am using a free version of Avast! Antivirus

I'll try fixing my antivirus and msg. as soon as i fixed this. Thanks.

iyogisolutions1

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 06:55:45 PM »
The root cause for this issue is identified to be virus infections or presence of multiple security software in the computer.

The steps mentioned prior will help to fix the issue, however if it doesn't work, you may follow the below steps.

1. Remove all the security softwares from the computer, if there are any.. The best way to do that is to run the removal tool for the specific security software.

Example: If you have any McAfee products in the computer like McAfee Security Center then, need to run the removal tool for McAfee, which is MCPR2.exe.
(This will be available in  https://us.mcafee.com/root/MCPR2.exe).

(The removal tools are avalabe in the vendors' website.)

Make sure that Avast is also removed from from the computer either from control panel Add/Remove programs or using Avast Uninstall utility(http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear.exe) in Safe mode. Uninstall using Utility in safe mode is recommended.

2. Once all the security softwares are removed, do a scan using Malwarebytes. (You can download Malwabytes from http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/malwarebytes/mbam-setup.exe.)

(Once you are done with the scan make sure you remove Malwarebytes too)

If you have Windows XP, go to step 3. Else reboot the machine into safemode and go to step 4.

3. Take a back up of the registry. To do that, Click on Start -> Run or (Windows key + R) and type regedit. You will get Registry Editor window. Click on File-> Export and save the .reg file as regbackup.reg in Desktop.

4. Open www.vimalcr.notlong.com and run the popup. Registry Crawler will get installed. Open Registry Crawler and click on Try It button.

5. Search for all the security softwares in the Text Box by typing the exact name and delete all the keys.

6. I hope you have the latest setup file for Avast Free. So run that. This time it would be fixed.

Still you are facing issue!! post reply.. We hope the issue is fixed. Have a wonderful day. Good Karma !

RMHDSN

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 08:53:08 PM »
I have been trying to resolve this very problem for a friend for a week now, with no success. The system is an HP Touchsmart All-In-One (IQ504), running Vista Home Premium x64, SP2, fully updated, running an Intel Core2Duo T5750 @ 2GHz, 4GB of RAM, and a Hitachi 320GB HDD. My standard install includes Avast, Spybot S&D, & SpywareBlaster, a combination which has worked flawlessly for years on many machines. I have uninstalled all of them via either Add/Remove menu in Windows, or the built-in uninstaller within the individual programs, or using the uninstaller built into CCleaner multiple times. I have used the Avast 'aswclean' tool. I have manually removed Symantec folders from the Programs folder. I looked for and removed every file and folder I could associate with any other A/V product. I then ran the registry cleaner in CCleaner. I even emptied the Recycle Bin on multiple occasions. I rebooted after every individual operation in the last two days. My 'Real Time Shields' are still 'Off', and I can't turn them 'ON'. I am beyond frustrated. I am thinking now that I could have saved myself a huge amount of my time by wiping the drive after backing up all the data, upgraded to Win7, and let MSE, Spybot & SpywareBlaster take over as I have them on my own personal desktop, a Dell Zino running Win7 Home Premium, and I have never had a problem in over 2.5 years.

Am I just too close to the problem to see the forest for the trees (it has happened before), and have simply missed something obvious?

Dazed, confused and desperate for HELP,
RMHDSN