Author Topic: Avast firewall blocks printing to network printer  (Read 7116 times)

Offline rinnaus

• Personal Message (Offline)
Avast firewall blocks printing to network printer
« on: October 15, 2011, 07:47:53 AM »
Hi!

My Avast firewall state is the Home. If I try to print to the network printer I get information that perhaps printer is unplugged. When I interrupt firewall (10 min) ewerything works fine.

The same happens on another computer too.

Offline iYogisolutions1

• Great Tech Support. Good Karma
    • iYogi Tech Support.
Re: Avast firewall blocks printing to network printer
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 07:17:27 PM »
Hi

Just try the following step:

First find out the IP address for the network printer then.

Under Firewall Settings > Expert Settings > Friends > Add the printer IP adderss.

Try to take a print and update us with the results.

Have a wonderful day. Good karma ! :)
Have a wonderful day. Good Karma! :)

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!

Offline Para-Noid

• avast! Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 07:33:04 PM »
@ iYogisolutions1  You really need more info before advising.  ???

Have you tried to set the firewall at "work"?
Also what is the printer location relative to the computer?
What is/are your OS and other security software?
Is your printer connection direct or wireless?  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win7x64 SP1, Pentium Dual-Core, 6 GB Ram, Avast Free 2014.9.0.2018, Comodo Firewall 5.12 w/D+, MalwareBytes Premium 2.0, MCShield, Super Anti-Spyware Free, SpywareBlaster, Bitdefender TrafficLight, OpenDNS Premium, Keyscrambler Personal,  PrivDog. CCleaner, Greenshot, Firefox (latest build) and, Google Chrome (latest build).

When you do something, do it with a purpose and do it on purpose.

Offline cruDE

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 08:22:52 PM »
@ Para-noid
Selecting Work Zone under firewall will NOT allow printer to communicate.
As Home zone is suitable when using your computer as part of a home/private network. If this setting is selected, the firewall will allow all communication with the network.
Wherein Work (medium risk) zone is suitable for when your computer is connected to a wider public network, including direct connections to the internet. This is the default setting and if selected, the firewall will allow communication in and out only if allowed by the "Application Rules". If no rule has been created, you will be asked to confirm whether or not communication with a particular application should be allowed.
So selecting work zone will not allow the computer to communicate with the printer unless it’s defined under application rules.
Below are the steps/settings that can be verified /altered.
1.   Verify spoolsv.exe is under allowed applications under application rules and has given full access.
2.   Under firewall Settings -> Packet rules - > Windows networking (IN/OUT) should be allowed.
But if it’s a Wireless printer as iyogisolutions1 mentioned, we can try to add the printer IP address to the friends list which would allow the firewall allow computer to communicate with the printer.
These settings can be changed regardless the type of Operating system or type of printer networked.
By default in Avast, windows networking In/OUT, ICMP requests are blocked.
And as per the info given by the Rinnaus, it’s a network printer as the user is facing the same issue from a different computer.
I would request you to try the steps above and reply back with the outcome.

Offline Para-Noid

• avast! Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 08:31:48 PM »
@ cruDE Why do you think I asked? Never assume anything...period.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win7x64 SP1, Pentium Dual-Core, 6 GB Ram, Avast Free 2014.9.0.2018, Comodo Firewall 5.12 w/D+, MalwareBytes Premium 2.0, MCShield, Super Anti-Spyware Free, SpywareBlaster, Bitdefender TrafficLight, OpenDNS Premium, Keyscrambler Personal,  PrivDog. CCleaner, Greenshot, Firefox (latest build) and, Google Chrome (latest build).

Offline cruDE

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 09:07:29 PM »
Para-noid,

i didnt want to be sarcastic. as you might have noticed, i am very new to this forum. Just wanted to share my little experience with Avast. anyways thanks for the clarification.

cheers...  ;)

Offline Para-Noid

• avast! Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 09:43:15 PM »
Para-noid,

i didnt want to be sarcastic. as you might have noticed, i am very new to this forum. Just wanted to share my little experience with Avast. anyways thanks for the clarification.

cheers...  ;)
No problem. There are too many variables for me. Since it happens on two different machines I'm leaning towards something other than avast. It seems as if the printer fails to recognize the two computers. Just not enough information. I would like the OP to provide more info.  ???

Offline lmfzor

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 02:03:52 PM »
Hello Paranoid
If I stop the Avast firewall I can print to the network printer, but if I start it the firewall the print is stopped.
I have the printer IP (192.168.1.215) on the friends and my level is company network

@ iYogisolutions1  You really need more info before advising.  ???

Have you tried to set the firewall at "work"?
Also what is the printer location relative to the computer?
What is/are your OS and other security software?
Is your printer connection direct or wireless?  :)

Offline lmfzor

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 02:21:02 PM »
I tried this one also , including the IP to Friends but it still wont work untill I stop the Avast Firewall ????
Got Win XP with driver from CD installed  and Avast 120326-1 and Canon LBP50505n on IP 192.168.1.215

Why is there NOT a menu to TRUSTED network printters that You can ADD a new printter to, in AVAST.
It is quite CRUEL to block traffic to Shared Nework printters that You want to use.

@ Para-noid
Selecting Work Zone under firewall will NOT allow printer to communicate.
As Home zone is suitable when using your computer as part of a home/private network. If this setting is selected, the firewall will allow all communication with the network.
Wherein Work (medium risk) zone is suitable for when your computer is connected to a wider public network, including direct connections to the internet. This is the default setting and if selected, the firewall will allow communication in and out only if allowed by the "Application Rules". If no rule has been created, you will be asked to confirm whether or not communication with a particular application should be allowed.
So selecting work zone will not allow the computer to communicate with the printer unless it’s defined under application rules.
Below are the steps/settings that can be verified /altered.
1.   Verify spoolsv.exe is under allowed applications under application rules and has given full access.
2.   Under firewall Settings -> Packet rules - > Windows networking (IN/OUT) should be allowed.
But if it’s a Wireless printer as iyogisolutions1 mentioned, we can try to add the printer IP address to the friends list which would allow the firewall allow computer to communicate with the printer.
These settings can be changed regardless the type of Operating system or type of printer networked.
By default in Avast, windows networking In/OUT, ICMP requests are blocked.
And as per the info given by the Rinnaus, it’s a network printer as the user is facing the same issue from a different computer.
I would request you to try the steps above and reply back with the outcome.

Offline lmfzor

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 02:38:59 PM »
Thanks for lightning fast reply Paranoid

Ok I added Spoolsv.exe to Application rules and tirned the packet rule named  Internet Out to TCP/UDP in/out

And in Firewall settings /Policies /Packetrules , Windows neworkin IN and Windows networking OUT ALLOWED

And turned the level to Lowrisk Home network

And added 192.168.1.215 to friends in  Firewall settings EXPERTSETTING

But it still is not printing Unless I STOP the firewall ????

Offline lukor

• avast! team
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 03:10:51 PM »
Hi lmfzor, could you please send me [(rypacek) at avast.com] the xml files located in the "C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\fw\" folder? They contain the firewall configuration, I will look at it, if there could be found some clue. Thanks. Lukas.

Offline lukor

• avast! team
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 04:05:25 PM »
Hi, I have done some searching on the net, and it seems that you are not the only one with problems with Canon LBP5050 and more difficult firewall setup and/or network topology. To me it seems the drivers have or might have some problem obtaining the IP address of the printer, maybe there is some supporting service or app that is used to query just that which hasn't got the sufficient firewall rights.

If that would be the case, the app might broadcast some requests in such a way, that specifying the printer address in the Friends group (and/or creating a rule with the printers IP destination address and ALL Protocols/All directions = ALLOW) in the packet rules dialog is not enough.

Do you have the firewall set to ask/auto-decide so that new apps requesting the communication will be automatically added to your rule set?
Aren't there any app entries for the Canon related software that are blocked?
Is the IP address of the printer fixed? (not changing after reboots/restarts of the printer?) E.g. reserved in the DHCP of configured as fixed?
Do you have the IP correctly entered in the printer properties, or do you use some name resolution (another possible point of failure if anything gets blocked) ?

Wouldn't the following tip to setup/verify IP address of the printer be applicable to your printer as well?
http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/printers/Laser/i-SENSYS_LBP6300dn.aspx?faqtcmuri=tcm:14-707049&page=1&type=faq

Here is a link to the discussion about a similar (maybe) problem. Would any of the suggestions there help?
http://fransmayra.fi/2010/07/29/canon-lbp5050n-network-board-error/

I understand, you are seeing this as a problem with Avast firewall, since apparently all that is enough is turning it off - but not having the printer here for testing, I can only guess what are all the required configuration options needed for its correct communication.

Cheers,
Lukas

Google Chrome

AVAST recommends using the FREE Google Chrome™ browser.

Download Google Chrome Now