Author Topic: Prevent scan if window missed?  (Read 8007 times)

Laneg004

Prevent scan if window missed?
« on: October 19, 2011, 08:42:22 PM »
Hi,

In the console, I have a scan job setup to scan each morning at 3am with a duration of 2 hours. The targeted computers that are turned on when the scan initiates scan normally, as expected.

The targeted computers which are turned off obviously do not scan, as expected. However, the problem is that the next time a computer which missed a scheduled scan due to being turned off, is turned on, it starts to scan immediately. Sometimes (for example if a user has been on vacation for a week) there will actually be multiple scans jobs running concurrently on the machine as soon as it is turned on. For example a "Full Scan" and a "Quick Scan" job will be running at the same time.

The scans slow the computers down which is why we run them at night. As I mentioned before, I set the duration for each scan job to two hours. My desire is to have any computer that miss the scan, not scan again until the next scheduled job it is turned on for.

Any ideas? Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 07:29:26 PM by Laneg004 »

Laneg004

Re: Prevent scan if window missed?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 08:44:37 PM »
Forgot to mention. The console is version 1.1.131.7. and client is 6.0.1324

Paul Rodgers

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 10:27:49 PM »
What I did was configure group policy to remove the shutdown button from the start menu. I have avast! configured to shut computers down at night after the scans. You will have to tell your users not to log off from the login screen though.

Offline 1tb

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 01:48:26 AM »

My desire is to have any computer that miss the scan, not scan again until the next scheduled job it is turned on for.

Any ideas? Thanks!

+1 Bump- Yes please! This is the behaviour we want also.  Scanning when the pc is switched on is too draconian. Especially if it happens to the business owner/CEO who wants to do some work right now without being slowed down/interrupted by a scan.

A proposed solution would be similar to the Windows Update dialog- Tell the user the scan was missed because they turned off their pc, and emphasizing the risk/importance of doing scans- BUT with a option to either run now, postpone or dismiss would be more appropriate in a corporate workplace.

Laneg004

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 09:24:40 PM »
Paul - thank you for the suggestion. We may end up doing what you have done if a better solution cannot be found.

Laneg004

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 07:15:01 PM »
Under the expert settings for the scan job, I noticed the following:

avastcfg://avast5/***TaskGUID***/PerformActionOnStartup

The value is set to 1.

Will setting the value to zero prevent machines from performing a scan as described in the original post?

Paul Rodgers

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 07:42:49 PM »
Under the expert settings for the scan job, I noticed the following:

avastcfg://avast5/***TaskGUID***/PerformActionOnStartup

The value is set to 1.

Will setting the value to zero prevent machines from performing a scan as described in the original post?

Set a machine up with that configuration and run a scan while the machine is off. If it doesn't scan then you have found a solution.

Laneg004

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 08:44:46 PM »
I did as Paul suggested and it didn't work. With PerformActionOnStartup set to zero, the missed scan still ran as soon as the targeted machine booted up. Can someone from Avast PLEASE address this issue? This is becoming a huge problem. As an example, our office was closed on Monday for the holiday and when everyone came in on Tuesday morning and turned on their computers, I was suddenly inundated with complaints about slowness. This was due to a missed scan which had been scheduled to run on Monday night running as soon as the computers were turned on.

To make things worse, the client is password-protected and so the only way to stop the scan from running on 25 machines is for me to remote into each machine one at a time and manually stop the scan.  There doesn't appear to be a way to cancel a scan from the console like you could from the old ADNM.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 09:22:03 PM by Laneg004 »

avastuser74

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 11:01:15 AM »
"Avast start scanning after a missed job", its not a bug its a feature :-)

I know this problem since we installed the bpp in September and i get no "good" answer to solve this problem. Before, we had avira antivir and there was an option to cancel missed jobs. I think it will be solved after the release of the "new" admin console in january like avast 4.8.

--> the only way is to log in the admin console and end all running scans, so you have not to log in every machine....

Laneg004

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 09:44:59 PM »
There is going to be a new console in January?

nannunannu

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 08:47:55 PM »
Bump.