Author Topic: AutoSandbox issue - Files on desktop don't always get sandboxed.  (Read 3241 times)

spg SCOTT

AutoSandbox issue - Files on desktop don't always get sandboxed.
« on: November 12, 2011, 03:08:52 PM »
I have seen this before, with a previous build (I think). Occasionally files that should be sandboxed, are not when run from the desktop. No alert is even shown.

Running a file from the desktop (i.e. when no windows are shown) results in the AutoSandbox being bypassed.

Running a file by opening Explorer and navigating to Desktop, results in an AutoSandbox alert, as expected.

I believe that this is related to Fences. As mentioned, I saw this behavior before and another user also had this issue with Fences (I will try and find the posts)

Windows 7 64bit
avast! Free 6.0.1289
Tested with AutoSandbox Test tool.

EDIT: First reported here, by kyokodash2:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=76650.msg635290#msg635290

My confirmation:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=76650.msg635610#msg635610
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 03:12:38 PM by spg SCOTT »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: AutoSandbox issue - Files on desktop don't always get sandboxed.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 03:54:11 PM »
Doesn't seem to be consistent as I see lots of instances of OTL.exe being caught by the autosandbox when run. Now as far as I'm aware these are likely to be from the desktop as essexboy normally says to download to the desktop and many users download to the desktop.

The desktop is one of those weird folders a little like the MyDocuments, so I don't know if this has anything to do with it. The other one is, is it a desktop shortcut of the actual file.

Testing OTL.exe on the desktop in XP Pro has the autosandbox jump into action.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

spg SCOTT

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 05:42:10 PM »
I have tracked it down better now that I have found the option to disable fences.

Testing the Autosandboxme.exe application when Fences is disabled and enabled.

Fences Enabled: AutoSandboxme.exe runs as if the sandbox was off. No alert

Fences Disabled: AutoSanndBoxme.exe is intercepted by the AutoSandbox as expected.

Seems that Fences is messing with it somehow...

Offline boombastik

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 06:00:52 PM »
Yes i have the same problem.
But with the new beta version i didn't notice it in last stable.
I dont know what are fences but in desktop the same file(and autosandboxme tool also) sometimes triger autosandbox and after restart my pc and recheck of the same file it doesn't trigger it.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 06:04:04 PM by boombastik »