Author Topic: want to install avast but can't get rid of other virus programs  (Read 14149 times)

Gunnydawn

want to install avast but can't get rid of other virus programs
« on: November 26, 2011, 11:11:35 PM »
Hi, Not sure if anyone can help me or not. I downloaded the free trial of avast internet security about 15 days ago and then decided I wanted to buy it today. Ok so online there was a sale for the black Friday thru cyber Monday for 3 computers 1 yr for $34.99 but since I already had the free trial version on my computer it was only offering me 1 pc 1 yr which is not what I wanted. So I decided to call the number referenced on avasts web page for help. This got me an iyogi support person from India on the phone, I had a hard time understanding her. The woman told me she would help me install this. Then she tells me we need to set up a remote connection. I was like hmmm... I just wanted to purchase the avast and nothing else.

So she does the remote thing and then tells me she needs to look thru my pc to see if everything is ok before installing. I ask her is this going to cost and she says no. She then tells me there is norton, macafee, webroot, avg and avast on my pc and they all need uninstalled before we can put the new avast on there. Then she shows me something on my computer called mimar sinan and says it's a virus. She says she needs to fix all this first removing the old virus protection and the virus before going ahead with the avast install. She says this is going to cost me $169.99, then purchase avast for another $34.99  OK this wasn't what I was prepared for so I said NO.

Ok I have tried to remove these other virus protection stuff on my own before thru remove programs, what am I doing wrong? I only got this computer in like March and as you have probably guessed I don't know much technical at all.  When I bought pc at Best Buy it came with a webroot disc for 6 months free which I did install. Norton and I guess macafee were already on pc but I never activated. The AVG paid version I did try when webroot ran out but my computer ran so slow, that is why I didn't buy it. So I tried the avast free trial and this is where I'm at now. I tried to uninstall AVG but it won't let me. Keeps saying I need to remove norton and avast to do anything. UGH! ???

Plus how did I get this mimar sinan virus if I have always had protection on here? Doesn't seem like any of them work very well when I appear to now have a virus. Should I be afraid of this virus?? And while I'm asking a bunch of stupid questions and looking like a real idiot, lol, was it safe to let this person remote access my computer??

ady4um

Re: want to install avast but can't get rid of other virus programs
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 12:33:31 AM »
First let me give you a little advice. Try to make it clear, simple, complete, but not so long to read.

Now, you have several "layers" of different and unrelated issues.

The first one, to verify if there is really some malware or not.

For that, I would recommend posting here in the subforum "Viruses and Worms". Again, "KIS(S)" (keep it simple). You should provide there the suspicion of which malware, your Avast edition and version, and the exact OS (which Windows, SP, 32/64 bits). They will request from you to download and run some programs so to report back the resulting logs.

Then, you can come back to the "removing old security tools". For each old security tool you ever had, you need to run the respective removal utility. A partial list is located at http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/.

About the Avast offer, you may contact   sales A/t avast d 0 T c0 m .

About the iYogi situation, there are not much we (simple Avast users like anyone else) can really do. I'll try to get the "right" Avast Team member to look into this (but no promises of getting anything concrete).

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 02:08:26 AM »
You will find uninstallers here http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/  :)

If you still require assistance please let us know.  :)

Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Gunnydawn

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 02:16:12 AM »
Thank you guys for the help. I know my question was very jumbled and too long, I'm really sorry.

I'll start with the first one, uninstalling avg. So I need to download an uninstaller? OK I'm a real idiot so how do I know if I need a 64 bit or 32 bit tool.  ???

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 02:23:27 AM »
Do you know if your computer is 32 or 64bit?
If not, try this

If it is 32bit, you have to download the 32bit version and if it is 64bit, you have to download the 64bit version. ;)

@Pondus
If only if I was a few minutes faster. ;D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 02:26:50 AM by Donovansrb10 »
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 02:27:44 AM »
If only if I was a few minutes faster
i was going to say you need a faster line.....but now i am on my 3G nett
you get me next time   ;D

Gunnydawn

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 02:59:01 AM »
Thank you all for not starting your reply with... "Dang you are an idiot" lol. (Tho I do deserve it and I won't be insulted when you throw that at me later.  ;) )

Ok it is a 64 bit and I'm using windows 7 operating system.  So I just download the 64 bit uninstaller for AVG and that will give me instructions on how to get rid of it? Then move on to the next and next....

I thought I had removed the webroot one successfully before but that woman from iyogi who I let remote access my computer said it was still there. So was it really safe to let someone use a remote access on my computer or was that a dumb move?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 03:03:25 AM »
Thank you all for not starting your reply with... "Dang you are an idiot" lol.
if you want us to talk dirty to you......that will cost extra   ;D

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 03:08:33 AM »
cash would be just fine ;D
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Gunnydawn

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 03:37:31 AM »
cash would be just fine ;D

lol, thanks I will keep that in mind. ;)

Gunnydawn

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 04:00:25 AM »
OK I think I was successful in getting rid of AVG. There is still an avg destop icon on my desktop but I think I can just throw that in the trash and delete it right? I looked in add remove programs and avg is gone from there. So am I done with that one? Can I move to the norton one now? Yes if your wondering I am a blond!  ;D

ady4um

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 04:14:22 AM »
Sometimes the removal utilities need to delete some additional items that need one additional reboot for completion. This is not *always* the case, but sometimes it is.

The old security tools may be conflicting with Avast, but I would say that the most important thing would be to get rid of any potential malware.

In the partial list of removal utilities for security tools, there are also links for additional info for each one.

You won't get any insults from us. Nobody was born with knowledge built in.

Keep following the instructions and reading the relevant info before running the removal utilities. A reboot is usually recommended after the tools are ran.

Keep posting feedback so we can help in case it is necessary.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 04:19:09 AM »
Probably wise to run each removal tool twice just to make sure that it's got all leftovers as well.

Gunnydawn

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 04:38:15 AM »
Now I think I need more help. I downloaded the norton removal tool and did as it said. When my system restarted a windows security alert window came up. It says,

"Windows Firewall has blocked some features of this program.

Windows Firewall has blocked some features of Norton Online Backup Service on all public and private networks.

Allow Norton Backup Service to communicate on these networks:

Then it has "Private networks such as home computers" checked.

Allow access or cancel"

What do I do?? It has even tried to open internet explored which I don't really use, I use firefox which I opened to check with you guys. HELP My guess would be to CANCEL??
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 04:40:22 AM by Gunnydawn »