Author Topic: Network "Internet" Detection Failing with Avast!  (Read 8137 times)

Strikes

Network "Internet" Detection Failing with Avast!
« on: December 01, 2011, 07:51:43 PM »
I'm on a fresh/new install of Windows 7 64-bit and the problem I have is that Avast! is blocking the "Networking and Sharing Center" from completely detecting out (see network map) to an active internet connection; even though I obviously have it!

Some programs rely on that detection to see if you are 'online' or not. (Like the horrible program called 'Origin' from EA)

I tried using the "Load Avast! services only after loading other system services" but that didn't work.

To work around this issue I have to disable all of Avast! for 10 minutes then Disable my network Adapter and Re-Enable it. Then the Networking and Sharing Center detects the full internet connection. I then can re-enable all the Avast! shields.

The annoying thing here, besides doing all that above, is that all my other programs that 'auto-connect' to various services have to restart/reconnect due to the Adapter reset.

This started happening maybe... a month ago? I can't really tell because I never noticed until some random day I tried to add someone on Origin and it would never let me 'online'.

"View your basic network information and set up connections" ->

(This Computer) ----------> Network (House) ------X------> Internet (Earth)

^^^^ That is what it shows with my current problem ^^^^

When I disable Avast; reset my Adapter I then get ->

(This Computer) ----------> Network (House) -------------> Internet (Earth)

... and all is great with the world.

ady4um

Re: Network "Internet" Detection Failing with Avast!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 10:21:11 PM »
Sometimes this happens only as a visual issue, and the connection actually works.

Without resetting / disconnecting / disabling anything, leave the system a couple of minutes after the reboot (at least for this test).

Then try to use your connection as usual, even if the icon or the Network center is showing you as if the connection is not ready or disconnected.

Please try it and report back.

Strikes

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 10:33:38 PM »
This is true Ady4um - However some programs rely on that report from Networking and Sharing Center. (Origin) I thought it was just visual as well and I just carried on for weeks, if not months. Until... I had to use Origin again to accept a friend invite.

The test I just did was to turn the computer on, go drive and pick up some food and return. I still had the "X" in the Network and Sharing Center. But I do want to make it clear that I don't have a red X in the Notification Area by the clock. That shows up as the "!" symbol.

Origin will always see me as "Offline" until that 'detection' is made. Idling has never fixed the problem; or it just eventually connects... that doesn't happen. I have to do the Avast-Disable and then Reset the Adapter to fix it. This is the only thing that works right now.

Sometimes this happens only as a visual issue, and the connection actually works.

Without resetting / disconnecting / disabling anything, leave the system a couple of minutes after the reboot (at least for this test).

Then try to use your connection as usual, even if the icon or the Network center is showing you as if the connection is not ready or disconnected.

Please try it and report back.

ady4um

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 10:58:16 PM »
Well, I have this visual issue sometimes, but even with log out/in my Windows user, I am unable to find the "definitive" solution. It doesn't happen to me always, but only sometimes.

If I turn off my network modem and completely shut down my system, then I turn on my system again, power up my modem and when I reconnect (physically) the modem to the computer it finally shows up correctly (have to wait for a correct "identifying...).

Of course this is not a practical "solution", but my "solve" the problem for some time (until the next "cr@p").

Maybe someone else has some input.

DonZ63

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 11:00:43 PM »
Do you have a yellow triangle, I beleive, showing inside your network icon that is located on the bottom task bar, right hand side?

Strikes

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 11:08:02 PM »
Yes, that's what I was trying to describe.

However with Avast! disabled I don't get that when I reset the Adapter.

If you go into the Network and Sharing Center though it's a RED X between "Home Network" and "Internet"

Do you have a yellow triangle, I beleive, showing inside your network icon that is located on the bottom task bar, right hand side?

DonZ63

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 11:34:34 PM »
This worked for me.

Go into Avast GUI and then Web Shield then Expert Settings. Then checkmark the setting: Scan traffic from well know processes only. Then reboot. After boot completes, the yellow connectivity thing-of-a-gig should appear briefly then disappear. Then go into Network Connections and check your settings. You should be good to go.

Background. WIN 7 dials out at boot time to a MS server to check for connectivity. It uses the Network Location Awareness(NLA) service to do this. If it can't connect to that MS server, Win 7 assumes something is wrong with the Internet Connection and it screws up the internal Network Connections display among other things.

I told Avast about this problem in the .1289 release. Looks like it's still unfixed in the new version.

filin

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 08:58:00 AM »
please help!!!
when you open the avast turned off the internet. what to do?
 ??? ??? ???

DonZ63

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 06:29:43 PM »
Please explain the problem in more detail. Also what ver. of Avast is installed? What version of Windows is installed, 32 or 64 bit, and SPx installed?

filin

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 09:42:24 AM »
Please explain the problem in more detail. Also what ver. of Avast is installed? What version of Windows is installed, 32 or 64 bit, and SPx installed?
sorry I found a Russian forum of avast, I badly know English on the Russian forum will be easier will be no language barrier
thanks for the reply
can I to you will return,
once more I'm sorry

Strikes

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 12:41:17 AM »
This was the solution for the issue I was having originally. Thanks DonZ!

This worked for me.

Go into Avast GUI and then Web Shield then Expert Settings. Then checkmark the setting: Scan traffic from well know processes only. Then reboot. After boot completes, the yellow connectivity thing-of-a-gig should appear briefly then disappear. Then go into Network Connections and check your settings. You should be good to go.

Background. WIN 7 dials out at boot time to a MS server to check for connectivity. It uses the Network Location Awareness(NLA) service to do this. If it can't connect to that MS server, Win 7 assumes something is wrong with the Internet Connection and it screws up the internal Network Connections display among other things.

I told Avast about this problem in the .1289 release. Looks like it's still unfixed in the new version.

DonZ63

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 12:53:13 AM »
Your welcome.