Author Topic: Avast with DVR  (Read 5198 times)

rayh78

Avast with DVR
« on: December 04, 2011, 07:21:31 PM »
With the free avast I cannot use my DVR software. I could with the old version of avast. Have a seperate DVR with a security camera for my home.
The DVR is connect to my router.  If I try to run the DVR software on my PC I get a runtime error.
Turn off Avast it works. Also worked with last years version of avast.
Any suggestions
thanks

Gargamel360

Re: Avast with DVR
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 08:27:17 PM »
Basic Qs: What Avast! (ver. number and Free/Pro/or AIS) are you using?  What is your OS and SP? 

iyogisolutions1

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 09:17:39 PM »
Please try to add exclusion of the Executing file of the DVR software

in the File System Shield and Behavior Shield.

For adding exclusion in File System Shield

Avast UI --> Real Time shields --> File System Shield --> Expert settings --> Exclusions -->

There you can browse the particular Execution file of DVR software and then click on OK.

And for adding exclusion in Behavior Shield

Avast UI --> Behavior Shield --> File System Shield --> Expert settings -->Trusted Processes-->

There you can browse the particular Execution file of DVR software as Trusted processes and then click OK.

then do a restart and check it.

Thanks

Gargamel360

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 09:53:40 PM »
Please try to add exclusion of the Executing file of the DVR software in the File System Shield and Behavior Shield. 
Right, sure....exclusions as a first, rather than last resort, what was I thinking?  :P

rayh78

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 10:15:20 PM »
Basic Qs: What Avast! (ver. number and Free/Pro/or AIS) are you using?  What is your OS and SP? 

Avast free ver. 6.0.137
Win XP with sp2

Did try the exclusion in file sys shield and behavior shield but did not help.

anything else I can try.
thanks for all the suggestions.

Gargamel360

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 10:42:04 PM »
Ok, might be you can go to the Web Shields expert settings and tick "scan well known browser processes only"....that is if the DVR software communicates with http....

Failing that, disable your shields individually, one at a time (don't forget to turn them back on, though) and try running the DVR software to narrow things down, find what particular part of Avast! might be at fault.

Knowing what particular DVR software you are speaking of might also help.

Lastly, updating to SP3 might help also, thats just a shot in the dark.

rayh78

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 12:55:40 AM »
Yes that did work it was just the web shield
checking "scan well known browser processes only"
will this still be ok if I just leave this checked all the time

thanks

ady4um

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 01:13:54 AM »
With avast 6.0.1367, you should be able to specify the specific executable file having some conflict, so to leave that setting as it was before, which enhances your protection.

Gargamel360

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 03:00:15 AM »
Yes that did work it was just the web shield  checking "scan well known browser processes only"
will this still be ok if I just leave this checked all the time thanks
You're  welcome, and as ady4um said,
With avast 6.0.1367, you should be able to specify the specific executable file having some conflict, so to leave that setting as it was before, which enhances your protection.
If a Web Shield exclusion is possible, it is better than just leaving that option off.