Author Topic: BSOD after update to newest version of avast  (Read 5339 times)

barryrams

BSOD after update to newest version of avast
« on: December 20, 2011, 05:46:00 AM »
I have Windows XP Pro Sp3, and when I upgraded to the newest version of avast, it causes a BSOD at bootup stating that aswmon2.sys is the culprit.

I am uploading my memory dump to ftp.avast.com/incoming "barryrams memory.dmp" and it should be done uploading by 9:30PST

Thank you

Here is my system info
Specifications 
TYAN Computer Corp 
System Model: S2895
BIOS Version: Phoenix Technologies Ltd. 2004Q3 

Operating System 
Microsoft Windows XP Professional 
Version: 5.1.2600 
Service Pack: 3.0 
PID: 76487-OEM-0056712-94415
Hot Fix: KB982802

Memory (RAM) 
Capacity: 2 GB

Processor 0 
AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 250 
Version: x86 Family 15 Model 5 Stepping 10 
Speed: 2411 MHz 

Processor 1
AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 250 
Version: x86 Family 15 Model 5 Stepping 10 
Speed: 2411 MHz 

General Computer Info 
System Name: BARRY-89F244F73 
Domain: MSHOME 
Time Zone: Pacific Standard Time
Connection: Workstation (standalone)
Proxy Server: Auto
IP Address: 192.168.1.5
IPX Address: Not Enabled

Local Disk 
Total Capacity: 467.50 GB 
Sum of Hard Disks: (C: D: ) 
Used: 341.12 GB

Free: 126.37 GB   

iyogisolutions1

Re: BSOD after update to newest version of avast
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 05:57:30 AM »
   Please take most recent .mdmp files from C:\Windows\mindunp and Memory.dmp file from   C:\Windows and upload it to the ftp site
   ftp.avast.com/incoming/

Make sure that you dont have any other security softwares in the computer.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 02:39:02 PM by iYogisolutions1 »

ady4um

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 06:55:17 AM »
  Please take most recent .mdmp files from C:\Windows\mindunp and Memory.dmp file from  C:\Windows and upload it to the ftp site
   fXp://ftp.avast.com/incoming/
  Make sure that you dont have any other security softwares in the computer.

iYogi, Please!!!!! STOP!!!! You keep posting the upload link in the wrong way. In addition, you have no idea if the dumps you are requesting are indeed necessary or not (or if it is the same the OP already sent). They may or may not be needed, but since you have no access to the files already sent, the OP should wait for a developer or Avast Team member to make the additional request.

@barryrams,

If you haven't done it this time, then for the next time, it is recommended to first open the topic with the initial info, and once you have the topic's link, you can send a compressed archive with relevant info and the link, together with the memory dump. By doing this, the developers can contact you in the forum much easier.

barryrams

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 06:58:07 AM »
I have both the files he was looking for, but I'm not sure how to upload them with a link.

ady4um

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 07:10:05 AM »
I have both the files he was looking for, but I'm not sure how to upload them with a link.

Although it is not clear to me which 2 files you are talking about and who is the "he" you referred to, my point is still valid.

You create a new text file with the relevant info. The link for this same topic is
Code: [Select]
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=90733.0, so add it also to the text file.

Then create a new zip file (or 7z or rar or whichever compressed archive you want) using a unique name (like "barryramsBSDO2011DEC20A.ZIP" for example) and include in the zip archive the text file with the relevant info and the dumps.

The new archive is the one you should upload to the ftp write-only location.

barryrams

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 07:16:15 AM »
The two files were the memory.dmp and the mini121911-04.dmp files.  I will make the text file, and zip that and the dmp files and upload it to the ftp site.

Thanks

Barry

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 11:44:08 AM »
Thanks, I found the problem... system uptime was over 1hr, so did your system crash during shutdown? or during installation (?) because I found only one avast driver (our product uses ~6 drivers).

...or it looks like the driver wasn't even loaded properly

Debug session time: Tue Dec 20 05:08:13.703 2011 (GMT+1)
System Uptime: 0 days 1:01:11.436
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 11:47:11 AM by pk »

barryrams

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 08:32:47 PM »
I upgraded Avast to the newest version, and upon completion, it required a restart.  At restart, I get the BSOD.  I tried unistalling avast while running in safe mode, through the control panel, restarting, then downloading a fresh copy from your website.  I reinstalled avast, and I still have the same problem.  I also then uninstalled avast via the removal tool on your website, then did a clean install again with the same results.

Mac the Knife

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 10:11:30 AM »
It might be worth knowing what version of Avast you updated from and what firewall you are using. I'd never had a problem updating from Avast until the last two versions which gave me a BSOD when rebooting as directed by Avast. Couldn't for the life of me figure out what the problem was and did various uninstalls, reinstalls and system restores. I then uninstalled the firewall I was using (Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall) and installed Comodo Firewall, it then installed fine with no issues. My firewall had never had a problem with Avast before, but obviously it took exception to something in the last two versions.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 11:51:36 AM »
I upgraded Avast to the newest version, and upon completion, it required a restart.  At restart, I get the BSOD.  I tried unistalling avast while running in safe mode, through the control panel, restarting, then downloading a fresh copy from your website.  I reinstalled avast, and I still have the same problem.  I also then uninstalled avast via the removal tool on your website, then did a clean install again with the same results.
@barryrams, the reason I asked was that your system crashed 1 hour after Windows startup when our driver was unloaded (i.e. driver's initialization failed => unloaded). I've already fixed it, but I wondered which steps could led to that crash.