Author Topic: Forum information, recommendations and few rules  (Read 310541 times)

Offline chocholo

• Poster
  • BSC, GSC, MCP
    • Avast
Forum information, recommendations and few rules
« on: February 10, 2012, 06:21:09 PM »
  • Follow the usual netiquette.
  • Avast employees are in the Avast team group (Administrators, Global Moderators and Moderators are also Avast team).
  • Never ever try to look like or act as Avast employee if you are not.
  • Do not harm by advice - especially in virus removal threads advice only if you know what will be the result.
  • Suggested maximal display name length is 12 characters, longer names should include space, otherwise they'll be changed to include it.
  • Do not use vulgarities in your forum nickname.
  • Antispam plugin is installed, some posts may be automatically suspended to be approved by moderator.
  • Some options and functions are allowed only after 20 posts on the forum.
  • Attached is table of current forum groups and ranks and table of warning levels.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 11:17:42 AM by chocholo »

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
Re: Forum groups and ranks
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 03:11:13 PM »
Well, this topic can cause some newbies to post like a REAL bot to climb up the ladder of ranks. Just my point of view of course.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 03:24:45 PM »
I guess the Administrator, avast! Überevangelist and Global Moderator may have to watch the users behaver when posting, because I know for a fact that some users are trying to climb the rank as quickly as they can. I'm sure we all had this conversation before to stop user from reaching the avast! Evangelist rank, unless agreed by Administrator, avast! Überevangelist and Global Moderator only.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 03:27:51 PM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

spg SCOTT

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 03:27:12 PM »
Well, this is in some way irrelevant now because the post count and other titles are separate...so it doesn't really matter how much you post...the content is the important bit.

Offline chocholo

• Poster
  • BSC, GSC, MCP
    • Avast
Re: Forum information
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 09:01:17 AM »
Updated first post

Dch48

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 04:09:51 PM »
Isn't it a little funny that a "skin designer" gets no icon at all?  ;)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 04:13:26 PM »
Isn't it a little funny that a "skin designer" gets no icon at all?  ;)

Translators and Beta Testers as well, according to the picture. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 04:37:42 PM »
Personally I don't understand why beta tester is even there, they are after all avast users and forum members, in which their normal forums rankings would apply. Or you could have multiple icons.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ady4um

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 08:43:30 PM »
It's not so much about the icons, but about permissions. It doesn't really hurt they are there, for whichever use they want to give to them (maybe in the future). Resellers could have their own section, as an example. It's the same with the "Polymorphic Sheep" group. Who knows why one forum member would use it instead of other Groups? But there it is, and probably they know why they want it.

[EDIT]
My apologies to Chocholo, as he would probable like this topic clean.
[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 08:45:29 PM by ady4um »

Offline chocholo

• Poster
  • BSC, GSC, MCP
    • Avast
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 03:07:54 AM »
Beta Tester is just a test of "freely joinable" group, maybe it'll get deleted.
Polymorphic sheep is well, Rejzor :)

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 03:17:52 AM »
If somebody was to leave a group  would they be able to rejoin it anytime they want?
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Offline chocholo

• Poster
  • BSC, GSC, MCP
    • Avast
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 04:41:40 AM »
You mean the Beta group? Yep, it is possible to freely join/unjoin at any time.

ady4um

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 05:23:21 AM »
If somebody was to leave a group  would they be able to rejoin it anytime they want?

One thing is to *leave* a group. Another one is to be part of more than one group, while one of those groups is set to be the Main (or Primary) Group for that specific user.

You can change your primary group (and then go back again to the first one) as many times you want, as long as you are still part of those groups (i.e. you didn't "leave" the group by yourself, or the mods didn't "kicked you out" from it).

Meri

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 12:32:31 PM »
While I can understand the need/desire to keep some functions away from people who have only recently joined, the 20 post minimum before a new forumite can edit his profile/signature doesn't seem to 'newby friendly', and as Chris already stated, can 'encourage' users to make useless posts just to get to certain benchmarks/tags.

AdrianH

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 12:39:16 PM »
While I can understand the need/desire to keep some functions away from people who have only recently joined, the 20 post minimum before a new forumite can edit his profile/signature doesn't seem to 'newby friendly', and as Chris already stated, can 'encourage' users to make useless posts just to get to certain benchmarks/tags.

Correct BUT it goes a long way to preventing spam links in signatures being seeded and most admins are faced with the stark choice of spam annoying their members and also using up bandwidth or prevention and some people being upset. Manually vetting new posters on a forum this busy is just not feasible.