Author Topic: Avast 7 kills Offline files synchronisation  (Read 14042 times)

RnP-PS

Avast 7 kills Offline files synchronisation
« on: February 24, 2012, 03:56:17 PM »
As reported in the Beta here:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=93221.0

I get the same issue with the now live Avast 7 update.

BAA

Re: Avast 7 kills Offline files synchronisation
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 12:57:48 PM »
Hi

I have just registered on this forum to say that I too have experienced this same problem with offline files on my Windows Vista 32bit edition.

v6 of Avast Free was OK but after the upgrade to avast v7 Free, offline files were not being synchronized to/from my Windows 2000 file server.

I have been forced to uninstall avast until this problem is resolved

misterteche

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 01:15:53 PM »
Hi,

I'm experiencing the same problem you are with Offline files.  It took me about an hour of troubleshooting the issue before realizing the only thing that changed since my last sync was applying the upgrade to Avast 7.  The latest version is blocking access to accessing shares.  I couldn't find anything in the Avast settings to configure.  Also, disabling did not resolve the issue.  It's when I uninstalled the product then rebooted did it work.  Avast needs to fix this major flaw.  I downgraded to ver 6.  I won't be installing the upgrade on any of my computers until Avast fix this problem.

sabidabi

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 09:54:03 AM »
I also got this problem once I upgraded to Avast 7. I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.
I tried to fix it by reinitializing the Windows offline files database, but once I made one of the network folders always available, the Sync Center icon in the status bar got lost, and I could not synchronize anything.
If there is no immediate sw patch for that, can you let me know:
Is there a shield that can be disabled to make the offline files synchronizations work again?
if not:
Is there a procedure to go back to Avast release 6?

barmuc

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 12:02:18 PM »
Same problem here (Windows 7 Professional 64bit).

Even disabling Avast did not help, I did have to completely uninstall it. Furthermore, the offline file cache was corrupted, I had to re-initialize it. If you need to re-initialize the offline file cache, you can use "microsoft fixit 50561" (just google it).

BAA

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 12:16:50 PM »
And what is worse, the Avast technical support team do not even seem to want to reply either to this forum or to the ticket I have raised about this problem ... not good  :(

I've just received a reply to my ticket from 2nd level tech support, who do not know what offline files are and say there are no problems with Avast 7 on Vista.
2 days response time so I guess they must be busy  ;)

Needless to say, I have responded with guidelines of what offline files are and a recommendation for tech support to look at this forum to see how many problems there actually are.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 05:48:21 PM by BAA »

mhe4

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 09:34:08 PM »
+1 for me.  I had to go back to v6.  Rather annoying.

sabidabi

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 07:58:05 AM »
And what is worse, the Avast technical support team do not even seem to want to reply either to this forum or to the ticket I have raised about this problem ... not good  :(

I've just received a reply to my ticket from 2nd level tech support, who do not know what offline files are and say there are no problems with Avast 7 on Vista.
2 days response time so I guess they must be busy  ;)

Needless to say, I have responded with guidelines of what offline files are and a recommendation for tech support to look at this forum to see how many problems there actually are.  ;D
I also got 2nd level tech support, and all I got are instructions to reinstall version 7 all over again. Obviously, I am back to version 6, and will stay there as long as they don't issue a new fix release, with fixes for at least this problem and the manual update issue.

barmuc

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 08:10:34 AM »
Hi there,

still no solution available for this issue? I am stuck now with AVG, but would like to go with Avast! ...

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 11:16:03 AM »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 07:17:45 AM »
Can you please try if turning the File System Shield off fixes the problem? (this is not a solution to the problem, just trying to get on the right track).
If it does, can you please also try to re-enable it and put the following path to its Exclusion setting

c:\windows\csc\*

?
Thanks.
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

BAA

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 10:25:51 AM »
I would hazard a guess that Avast v7 is blocking (or changing) various Networking Protocols and Inbound or Outbound ports which the Offline Files feature of Windows requires.

I also would suggest that the new "Remote Assistance" feature of Avast 7 could very well be the culprit which has changed the way Avast blocks these ports / protocols.

Surely, the Avast Technicians must know what has been changed between release 6 and release 7 of Avast - so should easily be able to find the cause of this problem.

LorenzMan

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 04:04:39 AM »
I work all my sunday to solve this issue!!
The only solution I found, after tried more and more others, was to uninstall Avast7!
I'll never use it anymore!

L.

NeoFox

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 01:53:39 PM »
Same problem here...  :(

Hope this could be fixed soon...  :-\

BAA

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 02:06:30 PM »
I have just received a reply to the ticket I raised to report this problem. Level 2 Tech Support have informed me that the Avast developers are now working on a fix.