Author Topic: avast! 7 strange issue  (Read 5166 times)

AlphaUMi

avast! 7 strange issue
« on: February 24, 2012, 05:07:56 PM »
Hello!

Windows XP SP3 (updated)

This morning I updated to avast! 7 and the built in updater completed the process successfully. After the requested reboot, the welcome screed appeared.

Image1

OK. I started noticing something wrong because the icon in the system tray was rolling continuously and my CPU usage was always at 100%. After opening the UI, I noticed this:

Image 2

Can you see the File System Protection part? The numbers of scanned files (in green) kept growing and growing. I waited a lot. Then I checked the properties of my C:\ drive and found out that I have approximatively 185.000 files. avast! was scanning 280.000 and still growing.

So I rebooted and... received the "welcome screen" again, and after that avast! started to scan something from the beginning, with the CPU at 100%.

Now, just to be sure... Is this a planned "first time" scan after the update, so that I have just to wait until it ends?
Because if it isn't, I think I should try to uninstall and reinstall again and see if this resolves the problem.

ady4um

Re: avast! 7 strange issue
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 05:40:05 PM »

AlphaUMi

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 06:26:38 PM »
See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=93915.msg747943#msg747943

Please report back.

There is no avast5.ini in my installation. I'm an happy user since avast! 4, but I installed avast! 6 after a format. Though, I found a [Common] section in avast!\Setup\Setup.ini. But there is no "ShowSetupOutro" entry. I think mine is a differnt issue.

The number of scanned files is still growing, it exceeds the number of files I actually have. Please help.

true indian

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 06:30:08 PM »
I suggest u to follow the instructions given here:
http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Then make a fresh install of avast 7

ady4um

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 06:38:00 PM »
There is no avast5.ini in my installation. I'm an happy user since avast! 4, but I installed avast! 6 after a format. Though, I found a [Common] section in avast!\Setup\Setup.ini. But there is no "ShowSetupOutro" entry. I think mine is a differnt issue.

The number of scanned files is still growing, it exceeds the number of files I actually have. Please help.

Other users solved the first problem you described by using those steps (several different topics). About the second problem, I'm still not sure about the reason (but someone else might have already seen it). Are you able to update definitions? If you can, then update and reboot. Then please report back.

Offline Grissey

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 07:40:18 PM »
I've also had both issues. I'm running Windows XP SP3 fully patched.
Followed the instructions to suppress the nag screen.
But the icon in the task tray is rolling continuously (which it never used to with the previous version) and the File Shield count is rising.
Virus database updates were performed automatically on reboot.

Offline BTIsaac

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 08:09:39 PM »
I strongly suspect the second problem is not with Avast. I mean the file system shield is supposed to be active when a file is being read right? It doesn't matter if it shows more files than the number you have on your computer. Could you check the graph and see what are those files being scanned?

Offline Grissey

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 08:48:41 PM »
I've discovered that the file being continuously scanned and causing the problem is c:\Program Files\EDIMAX\Common\RaUI.exe which is the configuration utility for my wireless USB Adaptor which runs at start up and sits in the Notification area. I've set Avast to exclude this file and the File Shield acts normally. Before upgrading to Avast 7 this continual scanning was not happening.

AlphaUMi

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 02:13:51 AM »
Yes, finally we have individuated the causes. In my case it is "IncMail.exe", it is the main executable from IncrediMail mail client program. The last file scanned by the File System Shield was "C:\Program Files\IncrediMail\bin\IncMail.exe".
I did the following process several times:

1. I cleaned the system with the Uninstall Utility (in safe mode). Rebooted in normal mode.
2. Reinstalled avast! 7 from the beginning. Same issue appeared after a short time.

This was goin' on until I noticed that the last file scanned was "C:\Program Files\IncrediMail\bin\IncMail.exe" (Graham White had the same problem with a different program, but the issue is the same). Those files makes Files System Shield go crazy, although the engine seems to work correctly. But in any case, this didn't happen in the past.

So I included "IncMail.exe" in the exceptions and all seems to be right.

An happy avast! user,
AlphaUMi.

Offline Grissey

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 06:47:10 PM »
Thanks AlphaUMi (I'm not alone!), we seem to have uncovered an interesting problem with the new version. How many other start up programs may induce this behaviour in the File Shield? Hope the Avast techies can follow this up.
I'm a happy user but feel this issue needs attention.

Biffy

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 08:48:03 PM »
Glad I found this thread, as I've had similar problems since updating to v7 this afternoon.

In my case it was connected to the Toshiba Bluetooth - "TosBtMng.exe"

Once I had added this to the Exclusion list, all was ok again.

Interestingly, there have been no such problems with my wife's laptop.

Hopefully a fix will be issued soon based on these reports.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The best things in life are free.