Author Topic: Going back to Avast 6 and file availability  (Read 7278 times)

Treborprime

Going back to Avast 6 and file availability
« on: February 25, 2012, 04:49:20 AM »
FYI file hippo has replaced all its previous versions of Avast with version 7. I wonder why they did that? Avast 7 is NOT ready for release period.

I found the last version of 6 here

http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php

This next comment is aimed at Avast themselves. Your support site should be providing download links to the previous version of avast no matter what the scenario is.

You also need to allow those with current installs of version 6 to upgrade to the LATEST version of 6 without being forced to go to version 7.

So I hope the version I downloaded allows me to insert the license file and go back to the security suite I had before version 7 tanked my system.

I hope the next release goes smoother, but I will only tolerate this for another subscription cycle. Avast version 5 was top of the line. Avast version 6 was only slightly better than the mainstreams like trend, norton and mcafee. I am hoping that version 7 restores my faith in avast ( after all the bugs are worked out) and I can continue to support Avast in the future.

Thanks

Treborprime

Re: Going back to Avast 6 and file availability
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 04:51:39 AM »
Scratch that the version I downloaded was hi jacked with version 7. So you can't get version 6 anywhere.

I guess I need to switch to my vipre license. Very sad.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 05:00:24 AM »
Dont know why you think file hippo has scratched all other versions  ??? see pic

Treborprime

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 05:08:28 AM »
yes I know

I clicked the download for the last version of 6 - Avast! Free Antivirus 6.0.1367

But what I got was the 73,165KB version of 7.

I tried 4 times and I got version 7 each time. So you can't get version 6 anymore.

At least the front screen where you choose express or custom install says

Welcome to Avast Version 7.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 05:16:56 AM »
I just tried it and you right, quite sneaky of them  :o

Treborprime

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 05:28:31 AM »
I do not understand why they would do that. Version 7 is unstable and unusable. I broke my own policy in not upgrading immediately to the latest version of an application.

So now my desktop has no AV in place. I cannot install version 7 and I cannot roll back to version 6 ( I had to remove avast entirely).

Unfortunately I have submitted a ticket to sales on getting a refund for the renewal I made last night. I have been using this product since version 4.

DarkRadience

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 05:36:44 AM »
See thing following page and read the instructions
http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Avast! Free Antivirus 6.0.1367
http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/11113/

By the looks it is the old setup for Avast 6 so I am not sure what you might be talking about.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 05:39:07 AM by DarkRadience »

Treborprime

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 05:39:25 AM »
First off try this
Avast! Free Antivirus 6.0.1367
http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/11113/

By the looks it is the old setup for Avast 6 so I am not sure what you might be talking about.

OK I must not be communicating well. What you think you are downloading you actually aren't. You download instead version 7. Go ahead and click the download in your link above. You download version 7 instead.

Treborprime

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 05:42:52 AM »
Click the file hippo mirror link below the USUAL green download icon. This seems to still have version 6 posted. But the main download link for the last version of 6 and the oldapps page is definitely giving you version 7.

That is mirror B - mirror A definitely has version 7 instead of 6.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 05:58:59 AM »
Have you tried a clean install? run the removal tool that DarkRadience posted in safemode for each and every version of avast you've had installed with reboots inbetween each version, note that this has to be done in safemode, when completed try installing avast 7.0.1407 fresh.

Rick F

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 06:10:48 AM »
Click the file hippo mirror link below the USUAL green download icon. This seems to still have version 6 posted. But the main download link for the last version of 6 and the oldapps page is definitely giving you version 7.

That is mirror B - mirror A definitely has version 7 instead of 6.

Yes, that looks like that should work. (see attached image)

DarkRadience

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 06:13:00 AM »
Treborprime, you might just have been right.

Looks like old installers are also being crippled to download and install Avast 7.

ChasUK

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 06:31:39 AM »
I discovered this earlier on tonight. I downloaded a slightly older version of v6 further down the list on Filehippo and got the right installer. Only problem with that is as soon as you try to run it it automatically downloads v7 and installs that again.

In another thread here someone pointed me to the OldApps site and I downloaded as per their recommendation the 3 month old version. Sure enough I did get the correct installer and it did install v6 as I wanted.  I did use the avat cleanup tool in safe mode and rebooted before attempting the re-install but it worked. I have v6 back again and my issues have gone. Now I have disabled auto update on the program code, (I still get auto updates on the virus defs), and I'm gonna stick with 6 until several updates of 7 have gone by.

kb-r

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 07:07:24 PM »
http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php
has the whole range from v.4.8.1169 to v.7.0.1407, including, of course, the beautiful, simple, practicable version 5...

Don't let it connect to the internet during installation: it will likely upgrade (or 'update' in Avast-speak - I can't decide on that myself; I just know that one has to beware the "There is an update available..." notices.)

Anyway, once installed, the relevant switches can be set to avoid update/-grade (whatever).

kb-r
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 07:16:56 PM by kb-r »

AdrianH

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 07:16:55 PM »
I do not understand why they would do that. Version 7 is unstable and unusable. I broke my own policy in not upgrading immediately to the latest version of an application.

Perhaps if you gave details of your system and what issues you have they could be resolved.  Your statement above is inaccurate to say the least, I have v7 running on 3 systems of my own here and it is doing so perfectly. Since the final release I have installed v7 on @ 18 machines running  XP,Vista and Win7 and not had any issues so far.