Author Topic: Avast 7 .1407 hangs Vista64 at shutdown  (Read 4592 times)

The Kitchen Sink

Avast 7 .1407 hangs Vista64 at shutdown
« on: February 26, 2012, 06:26:36 PM »
Regarding the machine that has the small problem:

Laptop
Windows Vista 64 Home Premium SP2
4gb RAM

The problem:
When shutting the machine down. The system will hang and will remain on the windows "shutting down" screen. The system looks and even behaves as if it completely shut everything down, but the problem is that is never does. I do not get this every time I shut down the machine. Sometimes it shuts down normally. Sometimes not and it hangs. I have to press the physical button to force it to turn off.

When I start the system after forced shut off. It behaves as if it were a normal shutdown. It only does this after updating to Avast 7. While not a huge problem. It should NOT hang the system even at shutdown.

There is no way for me to determine what Avast 7 is doing either as it is randomly doing this and obviously no controls during "shutting down" screen.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Avast 7 .1407 hangs Vista64 at shutdown
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 06:39:03 PM »
Would you be able (and willing) to try to create and upload a dump taken at the moment the system got frozen? I'm not sure if the dump creation would work at that moment, but chances are it could.

The description on how to prepare the magical shortcut is here: https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71
Note: the description is valid if your machine has a PS/2 keyboard, which I believe it quite likely if it's a laptop.

If you have an external USB keyboard connected, the registry key would be different - instead of "i8042prt", there would be "kbdhid" (appart from that, all the same).

Thanks.

The Kitchen Sink

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 06:44:46 PM »
To be honest fiddling around with that stuff scares me a little and more to the point. I cannot get the hang every time =(

I mean, that is a good thing. But I have no idea what(besides avast 7) causes the "shutting down" bug. Maybe if someone else has the same problem they could feel more confident in trying that?

I do appreciate the response though Igor. Very fast and nice of you =)

Edit:
I suspect that it hangs at shut down perhaps because of the trigger that turns the system off. For some reason Avast7 may not like it or does something regarding it and it cannot turn itself off normally. But this is speculation and the problem is random...sometimes it works....sometimes not.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 06:49:21 PM by The Kitchen Sink »

oklajohn

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 04:24:05 PM »
I am having the same problem on Windows 7 x64 pc.  I was not having shutdown problem before upgrade to avast! 7.  Now randomly, I get hang at shutdown....hope we can find a resolution for this.   

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 04:28:39 PM »
The same question... would it be possible for you to try to create a dump - at the moment the machine is frozen at shutdown?
Thanks.

oklajohn

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 04:45:12 PM »
I will try - it only hangs spasmodically, so I'm not sure when this might occur. 

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 04:48:05 PM »
I understand... when you enter the registry key, you just enable the special shortcut (after reboot).
So whenever in the future it happens, you are ready (provided the shortcut will still work at that shutdown phase).

stan-i-lund

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 11:54:37 AM »
Right. I'll try the crash for memorydump with ctrl-scroll lock and post the zipped dump file when it happens next time. On my computer (AMD triplecore, Win7 sp1 64bit) the hang on shutdown seems to appear mainly after several hours of heavy usage, with lots of javascript testing in firefox. The javascript checking component is new, isn't it?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »
No, not really, it's been present in the last 6 build as well.
There were some improvements, but I don't think it's related. Preventing the system from shutdown indicates a problem in a driver, while the Script Shield is mostly user mode stuff.

stan-i-lund

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 06:19:58 PM »
Well now I just had a hang. Made the "memory.dmp" and am uploading it to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming . It seems to take one hour before the upload will be complete, though the file is compressed it has the size of approx. 448 MB.