Recently I updated both of my systems to the latest Avast client version, 7.0.1426. Both systems already had the free software installed and I used in the in client upgrade button. My XP system has had no issues, however my Windows7 system was first rendered non-bootable and is now unresponsive durings scans and then BSOD.
After the initial version update of the program, Avast notified me that a reboot was required, so I rebooted. System would hang after entering password and would never load. I was able to boot into safe mode, but not safe mode w/networking. This strikes me as odd. In safe mode I was able to run the removal tool from Avast. After removing the software my system was again bootable and ran fine. I then did a cleaninstall of the latest version 7.0.1426 and my system again would hang after reboot after entering password. Safe mode wipe again. After which I went and found the previous version 7.0.1407 and installed it. There were no issues after this install and reboot that I could see. I decided to setup a full scan as I had setup in my previous versions. Ran the scan and after 68% my system began to not respond. Task monitor didn't even show system being taxed. I waited this out and was able to kill the scan.
Overnight I decided to start the scan and let it run all night to see if it would actually finish. When I got up today my system had rebooted itself and upon login I received a BSOD. So, something from the latest release has caused serious failures on this Windows7 laptop.
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional information about the problem:
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0