Author Topic: Avast Reports Google Update Chrome_Installer.exe Win32:Malware-gen  (Read 6696 times)

daodeltaforce

Avast is blocking the current installation of Google Chrome, and Google's Update Service.  Google, Inc. is supposed to be a trusted software provider; however, is the company's programmers adding malicious code to steal user data?  I believe that Avast is right, Google is engaging in data mining.  It may not be a false positive.  What will Google do with the data it wants to steal?  Google needs to remove its malicious code from Chrome.

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
Re: Avast Reports Google Update Chrome_Installer.exe Win32:Malware-gen
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 06:59:39 AM »
i have just updated google chrome to the latest v18.0.1025.151m, no virus alerts from file system shield

virus database: 120405-1

did u change any default settings of the file system shield?

SecureTenor

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 08:03:47 AM »
Same here....in order to update, I eventually had to disable avast! completely, and then reactivate once Chrome was successfully updated.  This occurred on both my wife's XP and my Win 7 computers.  We've had avast! on both for 2+ years, and no options in avast! were recently changed.  This happened during the last Chrome update as well.  Repeated warnings of setup.exe as well as google-installer.exe (I think it was called that).

Cheers!

SecureTenor

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 08:06:59 AM »
One other oddity...I uploaded the various files detected as malware to avast! to be evaluated as likely false positives.  However, once the files were in the chest, I would rescan them.  At least half the time, avast! would say that there was no malware.  Not sure what that means, but for what it's worth....

Cheers!

slybo

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 09:42:24 AM »
I had an old xp disc so bought and old computer from a shop and to learn cleared the hard drive and installed xp. After installing everthing just for fun ran the Avast Rescue Disc and it also found what you are reporting. I did not let it do anything and checked the file at virus total and it found no hits, including Avast that is on their list. So figured it was a false positive and due to no time just went on. That was yesterday and saw this thread today and so wanted to report it. The file was located at C:>Documents and Settings>( My Name )>Local Settings>Application Data>Google>Chrome>Application>18.0.1025.142>Installer>Setup.exe. I should also say I did not put Avast antivirus program on the computer since I will not be keeping it but used something else, the free Microsoft Security Essentials. So this would be why it was not detected when I installed Chrome. Hope this helps.