Author Topic: List of errors.  (Read 7023 times)

Ming656

List of errors.
« on: April 07, 2012, 11:53:11 PM »
Hi, New User Here.  I have just run Avast for my MacBook. Got errors not sure how to proceed. Error 42110 "The file is a decompression bomb."  This is a warning. It sounds really dire.  What's a decompression bomb?? Also got Error 60 - Operation timed out and Error 42120 ARJ archive is corrupted.  I think I will go ahead and delete the corrupted file, but what about the time-out error?  Thanks for your e-help, I'm really new at this.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: List of errors.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 03:20:23 AM »
(quoted from Igor: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=15389.msg131213#msg131213)

Decompression bomb is a file that may be rather small, but decompresses to an enormous amount of data (when processed as a packed archive). Such file are not malicious per se, but they may block an antivirus program when it tries to scan them.
This kind of files is rather hard to detect (and avoid) precisely - so, it is possible that there are some false alarms. It's not a big problem in this case, however - the "decompression bomb" announcement actually means something like "The file has a very high, maybe even suspicious, compression ratio and the AV is not going to scan the archive content".

Don't worry...

The best things in life are free.