Author Topic: Avast killed during system restore and refuses to uninstall or install: Win XP  (Read 4473 times)

morzh

My wife's computer's Windows XP  had to be restored to a January restore point.

Now, after the restore completed (successfully - the problem was fixed), Avast v. 6.0.1367 refused to work. The icon in the right bottom part of the screen is crossed out, and it is not rotating.
All attempt to re-start Shields, or to turn them off and then back on have been useless.

Now this is the second time this happened, only the first time (it was on my computer, also after a restore) the Avast let me uninstall itself, and then install the new version.

Not this time.
This time it: 1. Does not allow uninstall from "Add or remove Programs" in the control Panel, complaining of  "Error reading product data from "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast\setup\part-setup_ais-557.vpx""
2. When trying to install from the downloaded ".exe" file, crashes immediately with exactly the same error message. After pressing OK, it says "An error 0(00000000) has occured. Last performed operation was: spawning".

3. If the directory forcibly removed (possible only from secure boot), the Windows crashes then, giving blue screen.

So, this corpse refuses to let itself to be removed, stinks up the room and does not revive, and hinders replacement.

WHAT DO I DO??
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 12:19:05 AM by morzh »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Avast does not like system restore....so You need to reinstall

Read instructions on website before use
http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

OBS: avast is now at v. 7.0.1426

« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 12:31:01 AM by Pondus »

morzh

Thanks,

So far seems to do the trick. It 's been uninstalled now and is now in the process of installing itself (the new version I've downloaded).

iroc9555

Morzh

If Avast! self defense module is deactivated first, restore will work. However, it also depends how far back you go with the restore. The farder you go back the least probability it will work. Also it is more likely work with XP than W7.