Author Topic: Where is the Avast! Pro "Virus Chest" located on my drive?  (Read 34469 times)

kevphil

Where is the Avast! Pro "Virus Chest" located on my drive?
« on: April 09, 2012, 03:38:24 AM »
Where is the Avast! Pro "Virus Chest" located on my drive? Thank you.

adotd

Re: Where is the Avast! Pro "Virus Chest" located on my drive?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 04:35:33 AM »
hi.

if you open the avast user interface, then click on maintenance. In that tab there should be virus chest click it and your there.

Anthony

Theo Peterbroers

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 08:51:21 AM »
I believe he really means "on my disk", not "in the avast user interface". On my pc, I have C:\Documents and  Settings\All Users\Application data\AVAST Software\Avast\chest. Unless avast uses a weird naming schem, I suppose this is the chest.

Best regards,
Theo Peterbroers

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 09:13:52 AM »
i think it is at C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\chest    I wouldn't mess with that folder though
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 12:34:32 PM »
Where is the Avast! Pro "Virus Chest" located on my drive? Thank you.

The location given by Theo Peterbroers is the correct hard disk location for windows XP. If you are using Vista, win7 then it is as Coolmario88 stated.

Aside from Coolmario88's comment "I wouldn't mess with that folder though" I would say, why do you want to know ?

The avast self-defence is likely to butt in if you attempt to do anything in that folder, delete or modify a file. The avast chest is a protected area and files are encrypted and from the outside the file names seen in there aren't the original name but one allocated by avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 02:37:01 PM »
Just in case others come here for this information I can confirm it is correct but with the addition that the .......Avast > chest folder does contain a log file which you can open in Wordpad and identifies the 'encrypted' files in the Virus Chest and shows their original name.

However I'd also suggest not messing with the chest folder at all without getting more advice.