Author Topic: Do I need to run the Network Shield with Zone Alarm?  (Read 4054 times)

MarcZ

Do I need to run the Network Shield with Zone Alarm?
« on: December 24, 2004, 05:38:57 PM »
I couldn't find this answer from the forums.  
Do  I need to run the Network Shield with ZA Pro running?  I have had it running but No Report from it since install.  
Yes I am on Win XP Home.
I use Firefox, Thunderbird email and yahoo emails and D-Link router on cable modem and have Script blocking,  Standard Shield and Internet mail running.  Is this enough or too much?

Thanks

Marc

neal62

Re:Do I need to run the Network Shield with Zone Alarm?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 05:59:26 PM »
I also run Zone Alarm Pro, WinXp Home, SP2. I have my Network shield activated. It may not need to be but it hasn't caused me any conflicts that I am aware of. :)

Here is some further info: "A new resident protection module was added to avast! 4.5: the Network Shield. It is meant as a protection against known Internet worms/attacks. It analyses all network traffic and scans it for malicious contents. It can be also taken as a lightweight firewall (or more precisely, an IDS (Intrusion Detection System".
« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 06:15:37 PM by neal62 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2004, 12:31:22 AM »
Network shield is a IDS, ZoneAlarm a firewall. Although it may look like they are doing the same, they are not. If it is causing no problems, keep it running.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 01:35:54 AM »
MarcZ,

A new resident protection module was added to avast! 4.5: the Network Shield. It is meant as a protection against known Internet worms/attacks. It analyses all network traffic and scans it for malicious contents. It can be also taken as a lightweight firewall (or more precisely, an IDS (Intrusion Detection System).

Network Shield protects you from internet worms that spread themselves via various security holes in your system. Typicaly these kind of viruses don't infect files but instead  they attack running processes on your PC (either Windows components or some server programs like SQL Server, IIS etc.). These kind of attacks are not easily catched by ordinary antivirus during file or mail scanning. It is not a duplicate work with Standard Shield.

Basically, it covers all Internet worms. Such as Win32.CodeRed, Win32.SQLSlammer, Win32.Blaster, in32.Welchia (Nachi) and Win32.Sasser.
The best things in life are free.