Author Topic: [7.0.1426] Script Shield not scanning Firefox 12 scripts...  (Read 8499 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Just noticed yesterday that Script Shield is not scanning anything in Firefox 12. So i thought it's my computer since i was changing few security apps constantly for testing. Just reinstalled the system clean and Script Shield still isn't scanning anything. Please fix this asap.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: [7.0.1426] Script Shield not scanning Firefox 12 scripts...
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 08:20:21 AM »
Just noticed yesterday that Script Shield is not scanning anything in Firefox 12.

Same in FF ESR.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 02:37:08 PM »
Just noticed yesterday that Script Shield is not scanning anything in Firefox 12. So i thought it's my computer since i was changing few security apps constantly for testing. Just reinstalled the system clean and Script Shield still isn't scanning anything. Please fix this asap.

Have you modified any of the settings in the Behavior Shield (or disabled it) as that can have an adverse impact on the script shield and firefox ?

Notable option, 'Monitor the system for unauthorised modifications' if unchecked seems to have this effect.

Why this would impact the script shield is beyond me as there seems to be no logic or connection with that option and scanning scripts in firefox.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 02:58:08 PM »
Nope, i've reinstalled system clean and installed avast! and it wasn't scanning anything in Firefox from the beginning.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 03:03:44 PM »
This was reported on April 24, 2012 after updating to Firefox 12.  There has been no workaround reported that works for all configurations.  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=97662
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 09:26:23 PM »
This thing is weird. It scanned over 400 scripts in Firefox 12 and now it's not scanning anything again.

Tgell

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 12:34:10 AM »
And it's not working in the latest version of Google Chrome either. Will this be a common occurrence now that Firefox is coming out with new versions every 6 weeks? Don't see how the avast developers can keep up.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 12:45:21 AM »
This thing is weird. It scanned over 400 scripts in Firefox 12 and now it's not scanning anything again.

Today, I updated my TomTom Via using MyTomTom software which interfaces with the default browser (in my case Firefox 12).  When it was completed, it showed 955 scripts scanned.  I restarted Windows and that resets the counters.  Since then, Script Shield hasn't scanned anything.  There's a lot of communication locally between MyTomTom software and Firefox 12 and that is what I believe generated the scan count.  I don't think that anything that came in from the internet (and it was connected to TomTom's web site for the download) was scanned.

FWIW, Script Shield shows no activity when using Opera, either.
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »
It has scanned 3 links from GMail Watcher actions in Script Shield (Firefox). Nothing since then. This is the most bizarre bug i've ever seen really...

Jim1cor13

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 06:57:11 PM »
And it's not working in the latest version of Google Chrome either. Will this be a common occurrence now that Firefox is coming out with new versions every 6 weeks? Don't see how the avast developers can keep up.

Hi tgell  :)

I agree. I do not mean to go off topic, but below are some of my thoughts in regards to some solutions.

What you stated IS part of the problem. The entire update frenzy with Firefox and many others is taking its toll on
the ability for ANY security software to keep up with the changes. It is near impossible to keep up when every few weeks
is another 'required' update to firefox, etc. I stopped updating firefox after updating to V. 11. That is a personal choice, because
I see where it is going, and the updates appear to be mostly competition more than security related in many cases. You know,
they have to get their version numbers up there with the rest, etc. After working as a tech for 16 years, I see a complicated maze
of problems beginning between the never ending updates and the growing number of security software that simply cannot stay
current with this insane level of change. of course I understand *why* apps must be updated, but with the browsing community,
in my opinion, it is getting to be far beyond just security and into other matters that often leave me with the feel of something "else"
taking place.

I do not fault the security vendors for not being able to keep up. It is the biggest challenge, in addition to trying to release well
managed software while staying current with all the changes taking place within the browsing community and other internet related
apps. I remember the days when most problems could be handled via phone...those days are long gone, due to the complex nature
of conflicts. Vendors try to "do it all", yet they simply cannot keep up with the changing technologies, the constant demand for more
and more features, etc. Todays computer problems now involve far more than focusing on one main problem application. Now that one
main problem may conflict with 3, 4 or 5 other apps/configurations and it is near impossible to resolve without hours of brain draining
and still sometimes ending up with little to show for ones labor.

It is my constant advice to people...learn to use a reliable form of disk/partition imaging software, free or paid, as there are some great
offerings out there. I personally use Terabyte Unlimited, which is a paid solution for imaging with many useful tools...but there are also
many very reliable solutions that are free, such as Macrium Reflect free, Drive Image XML (although this one has no built in rescue CD, one can
be created using Winpe environment), Clonezilla, etc., and the built in imaging of Windows 7. Simply put, users need to get more familiar with tools of this nature, learn to back up often, so when a major problem occurs, they have the tools to fully revert their system back to an "image" to the time of the date of the image. One just needs to find what they can actually use, and most do not need full suites such as Acronis or even Terabyte although Terabyte Unlimited in my experience is the most stable, next would be the free Macrium. Just find one that can be utilized with minimal effort and backup often.

Windows "system restore" in my experience is unreliable and wrongly 'named', and rarely works when you really NEED it to. It only restores registry and some modified files...this is generally an inadequate solution for real problems. For that reason, I always suggest a good disk/partition imaging program that meets ones needs. The free ones I still use are Macrium and Drive image XML, with Macrium being my top choice for free imaging and ease of use. Bottom line is, image stable set ups...at least twice a week. It offers one the ability to UNDO problems quickly, without spending hours trying to fix every little conflict, etc. These tools are a labor saver, and in the tech world, this means being able to reach a reasonable turn around in repairs/error solutions, and with imaging and responsible backup procedures, one rarely if ever needs to come to the point of a complete system "reinstall". This IS the advantage of being able to fully roll back a system via an image.

It is the only way to avoid mind numbing hours of trying to undo and fix OS problems due to the constant changes and variables of modern computing. It appears to me, at some point, a line must be drawn as to blindly upgrading an application. Often it is best to wait until awhile after a new product is available,
and then when one decides to upgrade/update, take the time to image your system if it is stable BEFORE you make that change, because more often than not, there may be undesirable results to certain updates/upgrades, which of course includes the myriad of Windows updates that often leave users scratching their heads because of the effect on their otherwise stable systems. To me, it is getting out of hand, and very obvious few can keep up with the constant threats and never ending wave of "updates/upgrades" that often become a downgrade to system performance and stability.

Just my two cents worth of experience.

Have a good weekend everyone! :)

All my best!
Jim
---

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 07:13:19 PM »

Just my two cents worth of experience.

Have a good weekend everyone! :)

All my best!
Jim
---
Dont know about two cents worth ;) you would at least get a few dollars for the imaging software advertisment  ;D Good advice anyway :)

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 08:12:32 PM »
Hi tgell  :)

I agree. I do not mean to go off topic, but below are some of my thoughts in regards to some solutions.

What you stated IS part of the problem. The entire update frenzy with Firefox and many others is taking its toll on the ability for ANY security software to keep up with the changes. It is near impossible to keep up when every few weeks is another 'required' update to firefox, etc. I stopped updating firefox after updating to V. 11. That is a personal choice, because I see where it is going, and the updates appear to be mostly competition more than security related in many cases. You know, they have to get their version numbers up there with the rest, etc.

See https://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox.html.  There are several security issues with Firefox 11 that was fixed in Firefox 12.  There was some fundamental change in Firefox 12 that broke Avast Script Shield after Avast 7.0.1426 (updated 03/07/2012) worked for me with Firefox 10 and Firefox 11 (Updated 03/13/2012).
Fixed in Firefox 12
MFSA 2012-33 Potential site identity spoofing when loading RSS and Atom feeds
MFSA 2012-32 HTTP Redirections and remote content can be read by javascript errors
MFSA 2012-31 Off-by-one error in OpenType Sanitizer
MFSA 2012-30 Crash with WebGL content using textImage2D
MFSA 2012-29 Potential XSS through ISO-2022-KR/ISO-2022-CN decoding issues
MFSA 2012-28 Ambiguous IPv6 in Origin headers may bypass webserver access restrictions
MFSA 2012-27 Page load short-circuit can lead to XSS
MFSA 2012-26 WebGL.drawElements may read illegal video memory due to FindMaxUshortElement error
MFSA 2012-25 Potential memory corruption during font rendering using cairo-dwrite
MFSA 2012-24 Potential XSS via multibyte content processing errors
MFSA 2012-23 Invalid frees causes heap corruption in gfxImageSurface
MFSA 2012-22 use-after-free in IDBKeyRange
MFSA 2012-21 Multiple security flaws fixed in FreeType v2.4.9
MFSA 2012-20 Miscellaneous memory safety hazards (rv:12.0/ rv:10.0.4)

Nesivos

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 09:32:59 PM »

I stopped updating firefox after updating to V. 11. That is a personal choice, because
I see where it is going, and the updates appear to be mostly competition more than security related in many cases.

Security Advisories for Firefox - Those in red are considered critical by Mozilla

Fixed in Firefox 12
MFSA 2012-32 HTTP Redirections and remote content can be read by javascript errors

MFSA 2012-28 Ambiguous IPv6 in Origin headers may bypass webserver access restrictions
MFSA 2012-26 WebGL.drawElements may read illegal video memory due to FindMaxUshortElement error
MFSA 2012-25 Potential memory corruption during font rendering using cairo-dwrite

https://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox.html

Rule #1 in Computer security - Apply updates ASAP

Jim1cor13

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 10:24:20 PM »
Security Advisories for Firefox - Those in red are considered critical by Mozilla

Fixed in Firefox 12

https://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox.html

Rule #1 in Computer security - Apply updates ASAP

Absolutely correct...Nevisos. Major security flaws must be dealt with, but I simply advise a stable backup before jumping into security
fixes or any other modifications. Firefox releases v. 12 with fixes, next week it will be another handful, and the 'fixed' releases will be pumped out
with little testing as with many browsers. Firefox is a great product, but as with most other software, there are always security holes. My comment
regarding updating was my choice. I think after all these years I am just tired of trying to keep up with all the updates and the sounding of alarms
every time a flaw is found. The only way to get folks to update/upgrade is to scare one into it sometimes, not saying their issues are not important,
but there IS an element of competition of course involved in this also.

I've been around the block a few times lol, I have seen my share of PC oddities and how over the years more and more code is refusing to play nicely
with other programs, mainly due to failure of proper beta testing and the sense of urgency to RTM in many cases, a lot of these problems could be dealt with
more properly, in my opinion.

Indeed, I think I am getting too old to keep up lol. ;)

Thank you for the list, I will wait on the upgrade personally.

All my best!
Jim
---

Alievitan

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 02:02:44 AM »
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=97662.0

Been discussed since Firefox 12 has been released.  Mozilla fixed something going from Firefox 11 to 12 that blocks scriptshield.  However, Firefox ESR (extended support release) works with scriptshield, because Firefox ESR is based on Firefox 10, just with security updates. 

Firefox 13, soon to be released is supposed to have major improvements from Firefox 12, so I hope Avast has this issue fix before then b/c I rather be on Firefox 13 then Firefox ESR just b/c of scriptshield.