Author Topic: Update to Avast 7: Popup Finish Upgrade  (Read 4276 times)

bestmen

Update to Avast 7: Popup Finish Upgrade
« on: May 25, 2012, 11:46:58 AM »
Hi there,

I am opening a new thred because it seems to be better to focus on the specifics of my machine etc.

My computer is an Asus EeePC runninge Windows 7 Starter Sp 1. I had Avast 6 (last version thereof) installed on this computer. On May 21 I update the program through the User Interface. I went into UI got to Program Update did the update. Restartet everything fine.

Yesterday, 3 days after the program update, after starting the computer, there was a huge Avast popup that said: "Click here to finish upgrade" there was different pieces of information and then to options about Chrome, in the right corner there was the proceed button. My girlfriend chose to abort the popup through clicking on the little x in the right upper corner. However, then an installation proceeded. There was "Avast finishes program upgrade" and a blue star that signalled that installation was in progress. After 30 minutes, there was a green checkmark. After several restarts, I do not see that Google Chrome has been installed. I do not see that anything has been installed.

What exactly has been done during that installation process? What is involved in "finishing the upgrade"?

Thanks for the info!

bestmen

Re: Update to Avast 7: Popup Finish Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 06:21:47 PM »
Anyone any ideas?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 06:24:13 PM »
Anyone any ideas?

Well, not sure what you want to know, it seems your girlfriend is running fine.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

bestmen

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 06:49:50 PM »
Hi,

I would like to know what exactly has been installed in the 30 minutes. There was obviously sth. being installed because there was the progress bar etc.

What is the purpose of the "Finish Upgrade" process or popup anyway? As I stated, it turned up days after the program update.

Thanks for your help!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 06:55:35 PM »
1. I would like to know what exactly has been installed in the 30 minutes. There was obviously sth. being installed because there was the progress bar etc.

2. What is the purpose of the "Finish Upgrade" process or popup anyway? As I stated, it turned up days after the program update.

1. Sorry, no idea. I never had such an experience and I did install many avast! versions on different OS.
2. Well, this must have been a glitch, as this should show up right after the install. But as you've no problems, no need to dig deeper here, imo. Or do you want to try a clean install..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

2of9

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 07:04:21 PM »
Hello Bestmen,

I'm having the same problem on my Mac OS x 10.6.4 Snow Leopard.  I don't know if this is a fake popup but it does look potentially suspicious...

Has no one at Avast seen this? Is the blue popup normal?  I already have version 7 yet the popup wants to update to version 7 in less than 24 hours after install of the free version.  I've been ignoring it b/c I don't know if it's legit.

Would like to know.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 09:41:06 PM »
I'm having the same problem on my Mac OS x 10.6.4 Snow Leopard.

Please ask in the Mac section: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=5.0