Author Topic: False Positive in Firefox  (Read 4927 times)

Offline Black Spot

False Positive in Firefox
« on: June 20, 2012, 08:52:39 PM »
I'm a mod of conceptart.org (spam hunter) and it appears that only in Firefox does Avast claim that it has blocked a trojan - Chrome & IE appear to be fine. Googling the site makes it come up a lot including my thread. I know we have a lot of spam and I'm cleaning out 10 years of neglect. Also the front page was hacked a while back, but is now fixed. We're on an old version of VB, which probably doesn't help a lot. I understand AVG has also started blacklisting the site. I'm not one of the tech people, so it would be great if someone spelt it out in easy terms where the problem is so I can pass it on to someone who can do something.

As you can imagine if this continues it'll kill the site. Please help as a lot of people love the site (including me) and new members are what any vibrant forum needs.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: False Positive in Firefox
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 09:05:18 PM »
IE detects it and I get two hits when I try to access the site  - both redirectors

Needs one of the web gurus to look at it
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 09:08:07 PM by essexboy »

Offline Black Spot

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 09:14:00 PM »
That's what I get. I've check the page source and found the link highlighted by Avast. I know a little of html & css but other than that not much. Is it hardwired into it and does it actually pose a threat?

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 09:41:26 PM »
Hi Pondus,
Again beating me within a sec. Just some additional info on the stormpay dot com link there:

This domain is blacklisted on the Opera browser (via AVG): conceptart.org -
This report is at the culprit of it: http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/sitereports/domain/conceptart.org
Could have to do with a link to this questionable PWS: htxps://www.stormpay.com/stormpay/handle_gen.php
See: http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/www.stormpay.com

Could not find anything else here: http://www.spycss.com/s/conceptart.org  but for the AVG report,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Black Spot

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 10:05:26 PM »
I've just found out IE is now affected. That wasn't happening yesterday. Last week it was just googling the site that set the alarm off, now it's nearly every single page. I'll emailed the owner and hope he can get a grip on it.

Is it actually dangerous to browse the site? A yes or no would be easy for me to understand.

Elci

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 06:17:25 AM »
I joined this place just for this issue. I was at one moment a couple days ago normally browsing and posting in CA.org. Then every page I go to in there, Avast gives me malware and trojan horse attacks. I tried using Chrome but it also sets it off. Tried it again today but the same is happening.
I use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware too and nothing turns up. But I'm scared of ever going to the site again. I can't find any info about this.