Author Topic: marking e-mails incomeing and outgoing as virus free,how?  (Read 10838 times)

Artcb

marking e-mails incomeing and outgoing as virus free,how?
« on: October 18, 2004, 04:02:53 AM »
I have set up to have e-mails incomeing and outgoing marked at the bottom as viruse free, still do not see it on returned e-mail to me.  Other virus company's can do this, it makes me feel better if my program would do the same think.  ???

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:marking e-mails incomeing and outgoing as virus free,how?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 09:17:32 AM »
Do you have setup the mail protection correctly?

Please provide more details like:
- What version of Avast
- What OS
- What email client
- Other relevant things.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 02:50:26 PM »
I have set up to have e-mails incomeing and outgoing marked at the bottom as viruse free, still do not see it on returned e-mail to me.  Other virus company's can do this, it makes me feel better if my program would do the same think.  ???

Did you run mail protection wizard? Did you close your email client before running it?
Is avast scanning your emails, I mean, can you see in the headers of the messages (right click the message, choose properties and details), for instance:

X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 0442-3, 15/10/2004), Inbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
The best things in life are free.

Artcb

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 07:13:08 PM »
I am using version 4.1 Home edition with windows xp sp2 and also using outlook express

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 09:49:41 PM »
Did you run mail protection wizard? Did you close your email client before running it?
Is avast scanning your emails, I mean, can you see in the headers of the messages (right click the message, choose properties and details), for instance:

X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 0442-3, 15/10/2004), Inbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean

So, can you answer my questions?  ;)

Artcb

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 10:32:01 PM »
to technical:  I am a novice with, I was not able to find the answer to your question on the header for informaton. I think that  have avast set to check the e-mail, incomeing andoutgoing. thanks for trying to help me

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 03:04:33 AM »
Art,
1. Open your email program.
2. Right click one of the last messages you received and you think it should be scanned. Do not open it, just right click.
3. A menu will appear: choose properties
4. Then you will have a message box (a window with tabs). Choose the Details tab.
5. You will see the hearders text. At the end, you should see the X-Antivirus lines if you get your emails scanned.

Artcb

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 04:22:57 AM »
to technical:  I did what you said to do to the headders, I did not see anything about the emails being scanned.    Art

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 01:37:59 PM »
This part is for Windows 98, 98SE, ME users, because mail handling in avast! 4.5 is transparent (automatic) for Windows 2000/NT/XP users -

So, start MAIL PROTECTION WIZARD, click NEXT, choose AUTOMATICALLY PROTECT ALL MY ACCOUNTS and again click NEXT.

Enter your default SMTP and POP3 server names and click NEXT.

That's it... your incoming and outgoing mails should be protected now. Of course if you use Hotmail, Yahoo and other web based e-mails, story is little bit different, in other words those accounts will not be protected by Mail Protection module.

This part is for all OS versions users -

In your e-mail client, set your e-mail account settings just like avast! doesn't exist (revert original seetings back), because mail handling in avast! 4.5 is transparent for Windows 2000/NT/XP users. Enter your original smtp and pop3 server names, as well as original logging names and passwords for each account you have.

If you use (and I believe you do) Outlook Express, be sure that INTERNET MAIL PROVIDER is up and running. You don't need Outlook/Exchange if you don't use MS Outlook (big difference between Outlook Express and MS Outlook, completely different programs), so TERMINATE it if it's running.

Procedure:

- Left click on your avast! blue ball icon in system tray (next to system clock). That will bring up avast! On-Access Scanner.

- At the bottom of the Window that just popped up on your screen, choose DETAILS...>> (if it's not enabled by default). That will allow you to see little panel on the left hand side of that window, with all those Provider icons.

- Now, click on INTERNET MAIL provider icon, and click on CUSTOMIZE.

a) under POP tab, put checkmarks on both boxes,
     b) under SMTP put chekmarks on first and third one,
     c) under IMAP tab check both,
     d) under ADVANCED put checkmark on SHOW DETAILED INFO
         ON PERFORMED ACTION
. Also, under same tab, set TIMEOUT FOR
         INTERNET COMMUNICATION (S)
to, let's say 300.
     e) Next tab is HEURISTIC. Set it to MEDIUM and click OK.

You're all set and ready to see your incomming and outgoing e-mails checked and marked by avast! antivirus.

See some screenshots in here:

Setting Internet Connection Timeout Screenshots

Hope this helps !

Cheers !
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 03:26:36 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

Artcb

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 08:37:43 PM »
SCZ:  I want to thank all you guys, SCZ I did what you told me and it shure worked.  Thanks for all the help.    Art

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2004, 09:21:21 PM »
No problem, that's why we are here...

Have a nice day !