Author Topic: Should one combine Avast Pro with Malwarebytes Free or Malwarebytes Pro?  (Read 4187 times)

ecbritz

In one of my threads I was told that Malwarebytes does not conflict with Avast Pro and that Malwarebytes is the best anti-malware program for finding and removing PUPS that take over one's browser, for instance Incredibar. On another website I read that the free version of Malware is not connected to the internet and does not upload new malware definitions unless it is turned on and the update function is actively used. However, the paid (Pro) version is always connected and automatically updates its definitions, much like an anti-virus program. According to the comment I read, this means that Malwarebytes Pro must be uninstalled with all remnants removed completely before any new anti-virus program is installed. The free version of Malwarebytes, which only connects when required, does not have to be uninstalled before a new AV program is installed. If all of this is true, the question arises which version will be compatible with Avast Pro and will not conflict with it: Malwarebytes Free or Malwarebytes Pro?

iroc9555

Either would work well with avast!
MBAm Pro would have extra protection while surfing the web and will update automatically.
MBAM will discover PUP but avast! will do it also if you check the box for " Scan PUP ".
Incredibar has to be removed manually.

SafeSurf

MBAM Pro or Free is not an AV, therefore it works differently than an AV and it is compatible with Avast.

However, the paid (Pro) version is always connected and automatically updates its definitions, much like an anti-virus program. According to the comment I read, this means that Malwarebytes Pro must be uninstalled with all remnants removed completely before any new anti-virus program is installed. The free version of Malwarebytes, which only connects when required, does not have to be uninstalled before a new AV program is installed.
This is not true.  You need to be connected to the Internet for both versions of MBAM to work.  The Pro version will automatically download the updates, while the Free version you need to manually update.  You do not nee to uninstall MBAM to get rid of remnants.  In fact, every time there is an update to their software, you are notified and it just upgrades.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Many avast forum members also use MBAM free or Pro with avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security