Author Topic: avast!: The AAVM Subsystem detected a RPC error.  (Read 8364 times)

shade_of_evilness

avast!: The AAVM Subsystem detected a RPC error.
« on: January 05, 2005, 03:19:08 PM »
"avast!: The AAVM Subsystem detected a RPC error.
The operation could not be completed."

I've had Avast! Home for some time now, and then today, I start up windows like I normally does, then I see that the "blue avast ball" has a red mark on it today. I right click it, click "On-Access Protection Control" and this comes up... Any help, please?

shade_of_evilness

Re: avast!: The AAVM Subsystem detected a RPC error.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 05:11:30 PM »
I'm sorry to double post but I had to bump this topic... I got no answers and I need help fast!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 05:35:22 PM »
Well if you need help fast, you could have started by searching the forums, for AAVM, this has been a frequent topic. Type AAVM into the search window at the top of every page.

You can start here http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=9014.0.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 05:39:20 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 05:41:52 PM »
Do you have any other antivirus installed in your computer?
Did you have in the past? Which one?
RPC error is generally related to other antivirus present or, at least, firewall blocking. Do you use a firewall? Which one?

Anyway, RPC error is most likely correct by this procedure:
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove
Then choose Repair function in the pop up window (Repair).
The best things in life are free.

shade_of_evilness

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 09:40:06 PM »
1. It can't uninstall from there, says I miss a file somehow. Weird.
2. I don't have any firewalls or other antiviruses... Not even the SP2 Firewall (Using SP1 cause SP2 simple sucks!).

So, err... Now what?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 10:15:16 PM »
I assume that you have done a forum search for AAVM?

I can't see where you got the uninstall instruction from in this thread, Technical is suggesting Repair (read again how to repair). The fact that you can't uninstall because of a missing file, would point to an incomplete install, that's why it was suggested you repair avast.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 10:17:24 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

shade_of_evilness

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 01:10:29 PM »
Sorry, what I meant was that I can't repair it. And I've had avast for a long time, and it just suddenly did this. So obviously my installation of avast was completed succesfully o_O;

galooma

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 01:26:07 PM »
perhaps it has been corrupted since .if you prefer not to remain current (SP2) then your flyin by the seat of your pants and you are gonna be gettin these problems constantly ,to me that sucks even worse, but you decide

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 03:50:22 PM »
Sorry, what I meant was that I can't repair it.

Like Cloussau said, most probably there is a problem in your installation.
Why can't you repair?
What is the error message that you get?
The best things in life are free.

shade_of_evilness

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2005, 04:40:21 PM »
RUNDDL

Error loading D:\Mikkel\Avast!~1\Setup\setiface.dll
The specified module could not be found.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2005, 04:50:54 PM »
- Use the uninstall util from the website
- Reboot
- Install Avast

Does this solves it?

I strongly suggest you install SP2. If you don't you will have many security holes on your system unpatched and that will make your system very vulnarable for infections and attacks. SP2 is working fine.

Not installing it, is just asking for problems.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2005, 05:58:55 PM »
Plus there will come a time when MS windows update will insist on installation of SP2. MS issued a program to defer the SP2 update, I think that was a 90 days at a time. I also believe that it was mentioned that come March/April 2005 even that would not stop SP2 being offered as a critical update. You can of course choose to ignore it as you have.

Virtually all of the major e-newsletters after having suggested people hold off on SP2 now recommend it.

shade_of_evilness

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2005, 10:38:17 PM »
Plus there will come a time when MS windows update will insist on installation of SP2. MS issued a program to defer the SP2 update, I think that was a 90 days at a time. I also believe that it was mentioned that come March/April 2005 even that would not stop SP2 being offered as a critical update. You can of course choose to ignore it as you have.

Virtually all of the major e-newsletters after having suggested people hold off on SP2 now recommend it.

I will NOT install SP2. I've had it, it's the worst crap you can get. It also forced me to format one of my PC's because it is such a bunch of pure bugs (I couldn't even open windows or anything!). I will never install it again, specially because of it's firewall. I hate it. Don't try to make me install SP2, I just get angry :/

Btw, the time where I had to format isn't more than 2 weeks ago, so it haven't improved, and it will never improve.

Anyways, I'll try downloading the uninstall tool :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 10:41:13 PM by shade_of_evilness »