Author Topic: more Info on Virus & Trojans  (Read 3910 times)

mouse

more Info on Virus & Trojans
« on: January 17, 2005, 12:28:12 AM »
I received an alert by avast re Trojano-775 and have been trying to find some more info on this threat. The particular pc is seldom used, does not get emails and it might be a false alert as none of the other programs like ad-Aware or spybot show anything. Could someone please point me to the site from avast where they provide some info on the virus detected. If I do a google, this virus/trojan does not even pop up, only other variants. Perhaps other AV vendors use different names but that's why some more info would be so helful.

watchthisspace

Re: more Info on Virus & Trojans
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 10:10:03 AM »
What operating system are you using?
Where is this Trojan being detected?
Welcome to the forums.  8)

Watchthisspace

GYL

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 10:17:04 AM »
Wellcome on this forum Mouse.Try   virusscan.jotti

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 10:19:38 AM »
For malware removal instructions click on one of the links in my signature and follow the instructions on the malware removal section.

For 'translating' virus names, have a look at VGREP

mouse

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 01:33:26 PM »
Guys,

thanks for the friedly welcome :D

@watchthisspace
using XP, the virus was flagged by Avast when using Ad-aware scanning and showed up in c\programfiles\opera75\profile\cache4\opr001F9.exe. Though I think it would have been completely harmless sitting in the cache, I followed the Avast advice and put it into the chest. When rerunning the scan, the same thing happened but this time the alert related to: c\sytem volume information\restore....
As mentioned before, this pc is seldom used, has no email set up and sofar has been clean.  I have since checked out TDS-3, Spybot and Ad-aware without any alerts and a new scan with Avast does not show anything either. I am a bit baffled  ??? The opera cache no longer shows the file and I can't even find a folder c\system volume information... Might have something to do with restore points in XP?

@ Gyl - thanks for that link - will have a look at it tomorrow

@ Eddy - Vgrep was what I had looked for though in this particular case it does not provide much further info :-\

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 01:46:25 PM »
To prevent virus warnings from the c\sytem volume information\restore.... folder,
disable system restore and reboot.