Author Topic: solved: Does Avast now that their could be a bad virus on the internet  (Read 4465 times)

Diddy

HI today I read on one of the social groups about a destructive Virus that will be making the rounds on the internet in the coming days.  I just thought I should alert Avast of this just in case they have not read this important computer Alert here are the details of the virus Alert below:

ATTENTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!! RED ALERT for YOUR COMPUTER circulate this notice to your friends, family and contacts! In the coming days, warning: do not open any message with an attachment called Archive (Windows live) regardless of who sends you. This is a virus that burns the entire hard disk. This virus comes from a known person you have in your mailing list, which is why you should send this message to all your contacts. If you receive a message called: updating Windows live, even if it is sent by a friend, do not open the computer and stops immediately. This is the worst virus announced by CNN. It has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever existed. The virus was discovered yesterday afternoon by McAfee. and there is no chance of repair for this type of virus. simply destroys Sector Zero of the hard disk. Just copy and paste..got this from a friend

I just thought I should let Avast now about this just in case they have not read this yet.  I just thought I should be a good computer user and do my part to protect everyone who uses avast such as myself.

Have a great day Avast

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 06:36:15 AM by Diddy »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Does Avast now that their could be a bad virus on the internet [SOLVED]
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 10:01:33 AM »
Hi Diddy,

You have become the victim of what we call a "hoax": http://www.hoax-slayer.com/windows-live-update-virus-hoax.shtml
Not to be confused with this one, that is for real: http://www.hoax-slayer.com/windows-live-blocked-phishing-scam.shtml

In general do not pass hoaxes on the Internet without checking on their credibility, else it is considered a form of "trolling".

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Does Avast now that their could be a bad virus on the internet
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 12:07:56 PM »
In all honesty, stop reading this cr4p on social networks, etc. etc.

Ignore anything that they say to circulate to your friends, this frenzy of emails would cause more hassle than anything else. Say you send it to 10 friends and they send it to 10 and their friends send it to 10 and their friends send it to 10 and before you know it you will be getting multiple emails from the email carpet bombing to tell you what you told your friends.

Even if legit (which it isn't), you have to trust in your protection or you might as well give up on the internet and computer in general. The web shield and network shield provide excellent pro-active protection against internet based infection/exploit.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 12:31:38 PM »
ATTENTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!! RED ALERT for YOUR COMPUTER circulate this notice to your friends, family and contacts!
when you see this in a message.....a bell should ring   ::)
all messages containing "send to everyone" is Bull s**t

also a quick google search would give you the info Polonus posted......
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 12:36:55 PM by Pondus »

true indian

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 12:35:41 PM »
yep! my grandpa got a similar hoax like this and he forwarded this to me and replied to him and told him its fake.....Dont fall for it ;D

Diddy

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 06:35:29 AM »
Thanks everyone for your opinions I appreciate it sorry for wasting your time.  Next time I will do a better job by researching the important stuff first.
Thanks again everyone.

have a great day.

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 06:57:40 AM »
Thanks everyone for your opinions I appreciate it sorry for wasting your time.  Next time I will do a better job by researching the important stuff first.
Thanks again everyone.

have a great day.

You're not wasting anyone's time, This is the way we learn.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 04:48:48 AM by Marc57 »
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!