Author Topic: When I run Ad-Aware Avast detects a virus.  (Read 3211 times)

BC42

When I run Ad-Aware Avast detects a virus.
« on: March 03, 2005, 08:42:01 PM »
So here's the deal. Last night I wanted to look up lyrics to a song. I went to the website www.ilyric.com and a box pops up saying something like the website wants to install some software on my Mozilla Firefox browser and I think it gave me a choice of clicking yes or no (it was late and I can't remember exactly what it said) Anyway, I think I clicked no, I know I didn't click yes. Also, I got one of those phony phishing paypal emails last night. So I figure the cuprit is one of those two things. Now here's the problem. I ran Spybot and nothing unusual came up. I then ran Ad Aware and at a certain point a message pops up saying that Avast detected a virus and recommeding I put it in the chest which I did. I checked it out and decided to delete it. I then cleaned my temp files, disabled system restore, and re-booted. When I ran Ad-Aware again at the same point the message appears on my screen from Avast saying put it in the chest. So I do. And then re-ran Ad Aware a third time and nothing pops up. I have Windows XP, Firefox 1.0.1
This is the info from Avast:
Original File Name: InstallerApplet.class
Original Folder: C:\DOCUME\Owner\Locals\TEMP\AAWTMP\C63562\FEB85\javainstaller\
InstallerApplet.class
Size of file: 5578
Category: Infected files
Virus Description: VBS:Malware [GEN]
File ID: 5

One more thing. When I started my computer this morning after having shut it down last night it wouldn't start and I got some sort of error message from Windows. Windows wouldn't start up. So I turned it off and turned it back on and it came up fine.

BC42

Re: When I run Ad-Aware Avast detects a virus.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 08:53:37 PM »
Also, I immeditately deleted the phony paypal email, didn't provide any info or click on anything.

fredo56

Re: When I run Ad-Aware Avast detects a virus.
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 09:29:40 PM »
Check the adware faq's also i would run search and destroy also it could be a false positive