Author Topic: Phone stolen : sms and portal issues  (Read 3219 times)

samymdr

Phone stolen : sms and portal issues
« on: October 17, 2012, 04:57:55 PM »
    My phone has been stolen 3 weeks ago during a home jacking.
Anti-theft (2.0 Build 2571) installed as sys app.  2 friends phone numbers introduced.
Hard reset has been done by the thief.

Week 1: first untrusted SIM introduced.
-SMS sent to the 2 friend numbers.
-New untrusted phone number reported correctly on the portal.[/li][/list]

Week 2: other untrusted SIM introduced
- BUG1? The second untrusted phone number is not reported on the portal but the SIM change event is well reported in the notification tab. (=> communication between the phone and Avast is still ok)
On the portal, in the notification tab, a mention of the phone number near the SIM change event would be usefull.

-BUG2? Since week 2, only one of the 2 friend number receives SMSs. (No special command has been sent to the untrusted SIM.)

Best regards

marc

reinhardholzner

Re: Phone stolen : sms and portal issues
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 10:22:21 AM »
regarding BUG1: it is very well possible that the SIM change is reported (because IMSI was sent to server via web) but phone number doesnt change because SMS could not be sent (an SMS is necessary for that).
regarding BUG2: maybe this is related to BUG1 and the operator of the new SIM blocks certain SMS recipients (based on operator network). Nobody will ever know though :-(

reinhardholzner

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 10:23:21 AM »
PS: i can check in the database if you sent me your deviceId to holzner (at) avast.com - if you login to my.avast and select your device, something like this will show: https://my.avast.com/de-de/device/SOMETHING where SOMETHING is your deviceId.

samymdr

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 04:07:58 PM »
You're right, it is not possible with the elements I have, to highlight a bug in avast anti-theft.
From +/- the same place, my thief has placed three different SIM cards. There were perhaps sometimes no SIM card present and only an internet connection via WIFI.

My problem is now that
- It is difficult to know exactly when a SIM card is present in the phone.
- Until now, all sim cards were prepaid cards. The police have difficulties  to formally identify the owner of the cards
- Control of the GSM via the portal is not possible (google cloud messaging stays disabled on the phone).
- All connections to the avast server are via WIFI (no mobile internet with the sim cards)
- With the GPS coordinates, I can see that the phone is located in a building with many apartments.

Perhaps should it be usefull in such a case to have, as complementary elements, information like
- source IP address of the messages received by the avast server,
- MAC address and name of the WIFI router, ..

best regards
marc

reinhardholzner

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 01:49:09 PM »
thanks we will consider that feature for a future release.