Author Topic: Dodgy emails from my account  (Read 2605 times)

mamma-p

Dodgy emails from my account
« on: December 29, 2012, 10:02:42 PM »
Yesterday I had several 'returned mail' notifications which puzzled me as I hadn't sent any emails from that account. Today my sister contacted me to tell me she had received some emails from me with attachments, again I haven't sent any! Something is amiss but what? None have arrived in my other accounts from this one and they are in the address book. I've done a full scan and scanned with malwarebytes but nothing showed up. I do get a hell of a lot of spam to that one and usually delete it all, I can't remember opening anything I didn't recognise and NEVER open attachments. Any ideas?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
Re: Dodgy emails from my account
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 10:12:10 PM »
how do you access your mail....do you go to a website and log in?
or do you have a mail program installed in your computer?

mamma-p

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 10:16:52 PM »
I log on to aol site.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 10:24:11 PM »
then the problem is not in your computer.....but your mail account may be hacked?
change password and see if it stops

if you have a spam problem i recomend changing to Gmail as they have a very good spam filter
they also have filter, wher you can make rules like block all mails from @test.test

How Do Spammers Get My Email Address?

http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/scamsandidentitytheft/f/spamemailaddresses.htm
http://www.newcreations.net/webmaster/spam.html

mamma-p

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 10:33:34 PM »
Thanks Pondus, it's a relief that it's not likely to be on the computer. I'll have a complete password change I think, time for a change.

mamma-p

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 10:44:05 PM »
Thank you for the link, I just looked at it and instantly found out what happened! Just a few days ago I unsubscribed to some websites, one which I never subscribed to and wondered why I was getting newsletters! Thanks for the help Pondus.  :)