Author Topic: The Connection Was Refused to www...  (Read 6719 times)

freakyking

The Connection Was Refused to www...
« on: February 26, 2005, 04:23:17 PM »
I'm starting a new thread as you asked....

Avast upgraded me automatically to version 4.6 Home Edition and per 'about' it was done Mar. 2005(4.6.603). However, it is still February.

I am running Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2 on a Tosiba Satellite Notebook with a Celeron (R) CPU 2.80 GHz with 192 MB of RAM

I have Kerio Firewall installed and the firewall is allowing the ashWebSv.exe (Web Shield) process access to the internet.

Still I get I get the message 'the connection was refused...' unless I turn off the Web Shield.

Thank you for your assistance.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: The Connection Was Refused to www...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 04:42:57 PM »
Hi,

Avast upgraded me automatically to version 4.6 Home Edition and per 'about' it was done Mar. 2005(4.6.603). However, it is still February.

Well it doesnt say it was "done" Mar2005, it says version Mar2005. Its quite common to have this a bit in advance isn't it? (Im not talking only software but also cars, skis, cloathing etc)
Anyway that's not what you wanted to ask, right :) so let's proceed to the problem.

Still I get I get the message 'the connection was refused...' unless I turn off the Web Shield

What is the message, exactly? Is it displayed in a dialog box or inside the browser? BTW what browser are you using?
Does it make any difference if you temporarily disable KPF?
Are all sites blocked or just some?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

freakyking

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 07:55:33 PM »
The message is a pop up dialog box and it reads exactly 'The connection was refused when attempting to connect to contact my.yahoo.com'. No pages load that I've found anyway. Every message reads the same except where the address is changed. Either Netscape or IExplorer gives me the same message.

The only way I can use the internet is to terminate the web shield.

Thanks!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 08:00:34 PM »
IExplorer displays a dialog box saying connection was refused to e.g. http://forum.avast.com ??

Sorry that Im asking again it's just that Internet Explorer doesn't usually display any error message boxes (at least in version 6).

Thanks Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

freakyking

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 11:11:32 PM »
I normally use Netscape. And, I'm still having the problem with Netscape. However, to answer your quesiton regarding IE, I opened IE and everything seems to be working in IE. I checked it before and it was acting the same as Netscape. I didn't do anything different except to turn off/on the web sheild.

I use Netscape because, in my opinion, there are a lot less people trying to screw with a non-microsoft products (viruses etc..)  If there is a fix for Netscape, please let me know.
Thanks

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 11:57:03 PM »
Do you mean, that your problem appears now only in Netscape? Does it appear on all pages, or just on my.yahoo.com?

Lukor

viriiman

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2005, 01:48:16 AM »
Using Avast 4.6 Pro. Windows XP (totally up to date) M$ antispyware, Spysweeper, Norton Firewall 04.

I'm getting the same issue. Whenever I try to visit a page (in either Firefox 1.0 or IE6), I get the error:

The page cannot be displayed
There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed.

Please try the following:

* Click the Refresh button, or try again later.
    * Open the Web site home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
    * If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please contact the Web site administrator by using the e-mail address or phone number listed on the Web site home page.

HTTP 504 - Gateway timeout
avast! Web Proxy

When the server, while acting as a gateway or proxy, contacted the upstream content server, it did not receive a timely response.

GET http://www.cisco.com/

The site I visit doesn't matter, and it happens after about a second (it's not like the computer "tries" to go to the site, it just errors immediately) The only way to solve that issue is to turn the  web protection off. As soon as I turn it back on again, EVERY page comes up with that error.

The odd part is I have another machine in the house (XP fully up to date, Norton firewall 04, MSAntispyware) and the web shield works n/p on it.

If you need more info, let me know.