Author Topic: Avast EPSP and N-Able Agent  (Read 2814 times)

grehund

Avast EPSP and N-Able Agent
« on: February 11, 2013, 07:30:05 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone had experience running the N-Able (RMM) Agent on a Server being protected by Avast EPS?

We have an odd issue, which we're unable to resolve as yet.  On SBS 2011, with Avast EPSP, with the N-Able Agent and N-Able Software Probe services running; the Server ultimately becomes unresponsive.  I mean; unable to access emails, unable to RDP to server, unable to use vSphere Client to connect to the Console, nothing! No choice but to force restart to Safe Mode and Disable the N-Able services.

Also, it only seems to be an issue on patched SBS servers.  N-Able tested it in-house and found no issues, until they ran Windows Updates.

N-Able have offered some Avast config suggestions that worked for them, but we continue to have the problem.  I'm doing some more troubleshooting tonight, but I thought I'd get the ball rolling here now.

ITG

Re: Avast EPSP and N-Able Agent
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 07:40:14 AM »
Grehund, I've not used N-Able or those other avast products on server.  However, I've had this same EXACT issue in Windows 2008 R2 when doing Windows updates over top of an Avast File Server AV.  The "solution" was to uninstall Avast and install it after doing those updates.  Microsoft's updates just aren't flawless when it comes to all sorts of anti-viruses, including Avast unfortunately.

The hard lesson I've come to learn with Avast and updates is to disable Avast all together before applying the updates.  Make sure your server environment is completely restarted and fresh with the updates, then enable the avast services again.  Not had this issue since.  Hopefully this helps.

grehund

Re: Avast EPSP and N-Able Agent
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 10:36:16 PM »
Thanks ITG.  I will give that a try tonight and see how things go.