Author Topic: Avast and dial up  (Read 4353 times)

gwwa1

Avast and dial up
« on: February 18, 2013, 06:44:52 PM »
Because I have dial up and am running XP with sp3, I went to my local library and downloaded Avast.  Installed it on my computer and it shows current version 121031-0 10/31/12.  Because of dial up, on the update settings I selected Ask when an update is available for both the engine and virus definitions and also for program updates.  I checked I only connect  to internet using a dial up modem.  I put 10080 minutes on auto update as I don't want auto update.

I unchecked both options under cloud services.

Last night, I ran both the quick scan and the full scan and it found nothing. 

This morning, Avast software warned me that I'm not fully protected as I have auto updates off, definitions are out of date.  It says virus definitions version 121031-0 and program version 7.0.1474. 

I had no software running and I connected to the internet.  I have no programs that automatically update.  I started updating and after 40 minutes and my dial up connection saying 13, 716,119 bytes received and the bar indicating less than 10% done, I stopped it.  It then told me some message about error but it also showed me the download file is vps_32-a1a.vpx.  At the rate it was going I would be online more than 10 hours to get an update to software I had just downloaded.

I called the technical support line and she wanted to dial into my machine.  Don't know that I am comfortable with someone changing stuff on my machine.  But she did tell me the file it was downloading was the certificate to put on my machine saying what I am running.

So, here are my questions:
1. I have 2 computers to put this on, all on dial up.  Since they don't tell you how large of a file it is prepared to download, what is it going to take to even get this initial certificate and other stuff they want to download onto my machine?
2. Is Avast a software product I should be even considering while I have dial up?

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Avast and dial up
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 07:07:56 PM »
gwwa1 ... I have Dial Up Internet and have my avast set to automatically update the Virus Definitions daily.

Ahhhhh, however ...
On the FIRST time around, right after you install avast on a computer that is going to use Dial Up, you definitely do NOT want to update the Virus Definitions from scratch with your Dial Up.  That WILL take HOURS!  I did it that way only once and it took like 9 hours.

The way I do it to update the Virus Definitions immediately after an avast installation on my computer is that I go to my sister's house to use her computer with High Speed Internet.  I download the latest bulk Virus Definitions Update file from MajorGeeks.  I save it onto my Flash Drive.

I then take my Flash Drive and hook it up to my computer.  I save that bulk Virus Definitions Update file onto my computer's Desktop and run it.  It then updates my avast Virus Definitions in one quick shot in ohhh, about 2 minutes.

So get with a friend or family member who has High Speed Internet and do the same thing.  Download the bulk avast Virus Definitions Update file from MajorGeeks onto a Flash Drive.  Then hook it up to your computer.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 07:10:35 PM by Chim »
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 07:16:16 PM »
As to your 2nd question?
Yes, avast IS definitely worth it with you having Dial Up.

I've had avast since I believe October 2008 ... all those years on Dial Up.

Once you update the Virus Definitions that first time around right after the avast Install via the method that I describe in my other comment ... the subsequent Daily Updates aren't bad.  On my Dial Up, the Daily Updates average probably around 12 minutes.

Depending on YOUR Dial Up's speed, they could even take less time than that.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 07:56:43 PM »
@ gwwa1
No matter what security program that you have and windows update for two instances are going to be a pain in the backside on dial-up (I know as a long time dial-up sufferer, until just under two years ago).

However, once installed avast is quite reasonable as the virus definitions updates are incremental and generally manageable even on dial-up. So once you have possibly got past the initial update after installation it gets easier and you should reset it to Auto.

Program updates in avast are also Incremental (but will be larger) and for that reason and they take longer and require a reboot, they aren't set to Auto and best left that way too.

You may find this link useful (if your virus definitions gets way out of date) and you can do the same thing you did to get the program (local library) - avast! Virus Definitions Update - Manual Download VPS Update (virus definitions, vpsupd.exe, approx 74.8 MB). - Save the file to your hard disk, locate where you saved it and double click it and that should carry out the virus definitions update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gwwa1

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 10:49:28 PM »
Thank you.  When I was online looking to download at the library, I didn't see anything but the actual program.  The person in Avast tech support told me I couldn't update by downloading from another location too.

I will go to majorgeeks to get it.

Don't know about the file vps_32-a1a.vpx that the tech support person said was some sort of certificate that they first download and what was trying to be downloaded when I stopped it.

Will post after I get the definitions onto my system.

The tech person also told me that I must have something hogging my system.  How can I see what tasks are interacting with the internet?  I have all my software set so they don't update without my saying ok.  Also, Avast didn't report any problems when I ran the full scan.

Thank you

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 11:06:03 PM »
The vps_32-a1a.vpx is an internal file name and is the extraction/compilation after downloading the link that I gave. But even that full download may be a little out of date so a normal auto update of the definitions would bring it up to date.

The file name would change as that is effectively a verification file that confirms it is good/valid as the virus definitions are updated.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gwwa1

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 11:32:47 PM »
Thank you DavidR.  I went to library, forgetting today was a holiday and they were closed so I will have to wait until tomorrow.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 12:08:25 AM »
You're welcome.