Author Topic: Mail Shield  (Read 2265 times)

Nikilet

Mail Shield
« on: March 20, 2013, 04:28:08 AM »
Avast installed version 8 tonight. After, I got a window as shown in screenshot. As far as I can tell my email is loading and everything and I can't see that anything is working differently than before. So, do I need to do anything with settings now after this update?

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Mail Shield
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 05:01:09 PM »
As long as you can send and receive mail on all your email accounts, you should be fine.  One thing to check is that in Mail Shield | Settings on the SSL scanning tab, there should now be no entries.  If there are, delete them and make sure that "Scan SSL connections" is checkmarked.

Is Mail Shield scanning your email?  The Mail Shield scan count will increment as you retrieve or send mail.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Nikilet

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 07:22:50 PM »
I use Windows Mail. But I also have a Hotmail account set up, and one with gmx. I don't think I will change anything because right now all three accounts send and receive fine. Yes, it looks like Mail Shield is scanning my emails.

I would like to bring up something I've been noticing for a while. Avast Internet Security seems to slow my computer down considerably anymore. It never used to.  Lately, when it's running doing other things gets to be a real annoyance. Just a bit ago a Quick Scan was running. My husband wanted me to Google some information for him. I clicked on my Chrome browser and didn't think it was ever going to open. I finally clicked the "pause" button my my Avast and Chrome opened and I proceeded with the search.

I have 4GB of RAM so that should be enough. I have 194GB free space on my hard drive. Do you know of any reason Avast seems to slow my computer down so badly lately?

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 08:56:56 PM »
Avast 8 seems to be a little quicker than Avast 7 on my 2 computers in my signature.  You could see if there is some minor interplay between SuperAntiSpyware Pro, MalwareBytes Pro, and Avast with the new version.  You could set the first two to not start on Windows start, and see if that helps.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Nikilet

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 10:31:43 PM »
This problem I mentioned started even BEFORE the new version 8 came out. Things don't seem too bad while Avast just runs in the background, but when it scans it just about brings me to a stop.

When I first purchased Avast Internet Security a couple years ago I couldn't hardly tell it was even on my computer -- even during start up. But that has definitely changed.