Author Topic: BSOD's When Launching Games via Uplay on Avast ver. 8.0.1489  (Read 4212 times)

Gary C

NOTE: I Amended my Earlier Message as the instructions did not provide a resolution as first thought.
I noticed that since updating Avast to 8.0.1489 I would recieve a BSOD any time I try to launch a game from the Uplay client.

The BSOD for me was Page_Fault_in_non_paged_area and I suspect it will be the same for anyone else experiencing the issue.

It seems that when Uplay tries to synchronise saves and acheivements before launch Avast is interferring causing the BSOD associated with page files as the data is transferring.

I tried a workaround for this-

1. Open the Avast User Interface
2. Select the Security tab from the horizontal options at the top of the interface.
3. Select Summary > Current Status from the horizontal options to the left of the interface.
4. Click on Web Shield.
5. Click the Settings button
6. From the new window that appears select exclusions from the vertical list down the left side of the window.
7. Ensure Processes to exlude is ticked.
8. Use the add button and browse or type in the path for the following two exe files.

UbisoftGameLauncher.exe
    Uplay.exe

These files with be found in your Uplay installation folder.
    By default this is folder is located in Program Files (x86)/Ubisoft/Ubisoft Game Launcher.

After doing this Uplay launched the game without a BSOD. However after shutting down I powered up the PC and the BSOD had returned when i next tried to launch a game from Uplay.

I checked Avast, it had retained the exclusions I set but the issue had reappeared after reboot. I added additional exclusions for uPlay to all other aspects of the protection and still Uplay BSOD's on launch of games unless in safe mode. Avast is causing some kind of BSOD when uplay tries to synchronise achievements and saves prior to launching the game.

The only resolution I have found is to completely uninstall Avast. Without Avast or with an earlier version of Avast the BSODs simply don't occur.

At the moment I have rolled back to ver 8.0.1483 and there are no more BOSDs. I have rebooted the PC numerous times and cannot recreate the BSOD which was constantly reproducable when Avast 8.0.1489 was installed.

I hope Avast get a resolution for this soon.  >:(

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 11:35:24 PM by Gary C »

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
Re: BSOD's When Launching Games via Uplay on Avast ver. 8.0.1489
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 11:05:27 PM »
Please check for the corresponding minidump files (in C:\Windows\Minidump) and upload them to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Gary C

Re: BSOD's When Launching Games via Uplay on Avast ver. 8.0.1489
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 01:03:59 AM »
Done.

The crash is reproducable so I included a few minidump files from today alone when I was troubleshooting.

Hope they prove helpful, it took me 4 days of checking hardware, drivers and eventually software before I identified Avast as the culprit.