Author Topic: CHROME Intrusion!  (Read 1771 times)

Bill Roach

CHROME Intrusion!
« on: September 24, 2013, 12:29:12 AM »
Chrome was installed on my system today, piggybacked on a direct AVAST delivery, without my knowledge, request or permission via of a "pleading" notice to update.
That is unacceptable and irresponsible behavior for any software vendor who expects the trust and confidence of the public. Especially a security software company. 

This makes AVAST no more than a producer of Malware . . . as a harmless but unwanted program. CNET and other lesser operators apparently collaborate with Google to perpetrate this kind of Intrusion. Does AVAST get paid by Google to do this? Is it worth trading off your integrity and the respect of your customer base?

I have had to uninstall Chrome several times, as it was similarly delivered by other Websites. I will do it one more time as I search for another security vendor and uninstall AVAST.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: CHROME Intrusion!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 01:23:55 AM »
Sorry you had this happen to you. Alas, you are not alone as this is a known issue which seems to be fixed
in the new beta version (v2014 beta3). If you would like to try the beta see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=135544.msg991773#msg991773
It is a beta but it is lighter and quite stable.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: CHROME Intrusion!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 01:23:56 AM »
You should have see options not to install chrome, if you didn't then that isn't the norm.

See example image, that I captured on a previous update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security