Author Topic: Buffer Overrun  (Read 3162 times)

chrisaroz

Buffer Overrun
« on: March 18, 2005, 01:11:56 AM »
I just installed a new HDD that I ghosted with the contents of my old drive. Now when I try to run, install, uninstall Avast it says Buffer Overrun and shuts down. I can't re-install or uninstall. Any Help?

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: Buffer Overrun
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 02:21:57 AM »
No info at all... what version of Windows, what version of avast! (home freeware or Pro paid for) ? Everything is important. What was the size of first hard drive, what is the size of new one ?

I guess someone from Alwil will be able to give you some info, but first you have to provide some useful info about your system configuration. Also, tell us what other security related programs have you installed on that system. In this particular case, maybe it has nothing to do with your problem, but anyway, no harm to list all those programs...

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

neopolss

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 09:32:27 PM »
Same problem here.  Cannot add/remove, cannot run setup without getting this error.  Avast does not boot at startup anymore.  Viruis scan still works when I run it from the programs menu, but the main program (resident shield) is not running.

This began after removing my DVD-rom and replacing it with a DVD burner.  I also removed a floppy and then installed Nero suite.  This caused Avast and Zonealarm to no longer run at startup.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled Zonealarm without conflict, however I cannot remove Avast at all without getting the buffer error.

Offline xistenz

• Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 10:06:51 PM »
Try the avast! uninstall Utility: http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_uninstall_util.html