Author Topic: Potential false positive on old avast software updater downloads  (Read 1790 times)

Dran

Hi there :)

Just yesterday I downloaded the latest version of the avast free programme + database and ran it overnight. this morning I woke to avast telling me that I had some hidden potential rootkit files under the filepath C:\windows\Temp\avast_ash\. The files included at the end of that path were flash player activeX, flash player plugin and itunes, all of which the avast updater is telling me i need to update. Ive had issues with antivirus/ malware software identifying hidden avast files as threats before, so is this just a false positive or something i should actualy be concerned about?

Also I deleted the files using avast, and when i booted the computer up again and started avast software updater, it redownloaded data for all the aformentioned files.

Thanks for any help guys :)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
Re: Potential false positive on old avast software updater downloads
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 11:38:29 AM »
what was the message avast gave about the file... malware name?

you can send files from avast chest to avast lab so that they can correct any FP

how to use virus chest.   http://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB21

Dran

Re: Potential false positive on old avast software updater downloads
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 12:20:13 PM »
It didnt give it a specific name other than the file path. it just says "threat: rootkit: hidden file". Also moving these files to the chest as not possible citing "error: the request is not supported"

and thanks for the reply :)