Author Topic: boot time scan  (Read 4070 times)

Cindy Lu Who

boot time scan
« on: May 29, 2009, 10:36:38 PM »
I have used  Avast for a few years now but just recently loaded it onto my new computer with Vista 64. The "schedule boot-time scan" feature is not highlighted so I can not run it. Help?!?  I also cannot select "thorough" scan on the sensitivity of regular scanning.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 11:01:08 PM by Cindy Lu Who »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: boot time scan
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 11:55:25 PM »
The boot-time scan is currently not available on 64bit platforms.

Why can't you select a thorough scan?

ilbcnultr

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 06:41:18 AM »
Yes please fix this issue.  I paid for a complete antivirus program not half a one.javascript: :'( :'(

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 07:05:16 AM »
ilbcnultr The unavailability of the boot scan for 64bit OS is stated clearly on the product information page, (though I admit it doesn't leap out of the page,) and states:
A new option in this release is the boot-time scan (Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista 32bit only). This important feature allows a user to instigate scanning before a virus is activated, in the case that a virus is suspected to be active on your computer already.
(my bolding).
I don't really think you have much right to ask for half your money back.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 02:05:43 PM »
It's probable that avast 5 cover this problem and allow boot time scanning with 64bits systems.
Like Igor said, you can run a thorough scanning into avast that should do the job. Do you need help configurating it?
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 02:11:53 PM »
The only unavailable feature on 64bit OS is the boot-time scan - it's certainly not "half of the program".
It will be included in the future, probably in avast! 5.1, or whatever the version is going to be.

Cindy Lu Who

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 12:17:02 AM »
Well, thank you. I was able to slide the sensitivity bar to thorough after I got the new Vista-ish skin. (Thank you to creator) but the actual spot to click on thorough was just like the boot feature and was not highlighted. PLEASE hurry with 5.0 version! Boot-time scan has been a life-saver (at least a computer-saver) for me. Is the boot scan feature available for Vista 64 in the current professional edition? Thanks,Cindy

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 12:20:32 AM »
Is the boot scan feature available for Vista 64 in the current professional edition?

No
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 12:59:56 AM »
the actual spot to click on thorough was just like the boot feature and was not highlighted.

Can you please post a screenshot of the situation?

PLEASE hurry with 5.0 version!

As I wrote earlier, the 64bit boot-time scan will not be present in the initial version of avast! 5.0 either; it will be included later - needs some more development.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 01:06:13 AM by igor »

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 02:18:15 AM »
Well, thank you. I was able to slide the sensitivity bar to thorough after I got the new Vista-ish skin. (Thank you to creator) but the actual spot to click on thorough was just like the boot feature and was not highlighted. PLEASE hurry with 5.0 version! Boot-time scan has been a life-saver (at least a computer-saver) for me. Is the boot scan feature available for Vista 64 in the current professional edition? Thanks,Cindy

I have Vista 64 bit and I can select thorough scan. This option is not selected like the boot-time scan(menu based option), only you need to slide the bar to the right. So your problem is not the skin(i am using the standard skin).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 07:25:12 AM by calcu007 »
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS