Author Topic: How can I tell if an infected file is potential malware or a false positive?  (Read 7973 times)

NeymarMessi

find what?

The file so I can scan it on virustotal.com

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • F-Secure user
 ::) ...... avast found it and moved it to chest.... it is in prison...you just looked at it there

since it was detected in a restore point it means it is a backup of a previous infection you have had
no need to upload to VT .... just right click the file in chest and delete it

NeymarMessi

::) ...... avast found it and moved it to chest.... it is in prison...you just looked at it there

since it was detected in a restore point it means it is a backup of a previous infection you have had
no need to upload to VT .... just right click the file in chest and delete it

Okay so I don't try to repair? (well I guess Avast says "Restore" not repair)
And if I delete it, will I be done with it? Like completely safe and I don't have to worry about it anymore?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • F-Secure user
repair and restore are not the same.... read the clean, quarantine or delte info i gave you

if you right click the file in chest and delete, it will be gone to virus heaven

NeymarMessi

repair and restore are not the same.... read the clean, quarantine or delte info i gave you

if you right click the file in chest and delete, it will be gone to virus heaven

Thank you for all your help. Just to really really really make sure, I don't have to worry about it at all once I delete it?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • F-Secure user
no
and you dont have to worry if you just left it there in chest also.... read my previous posted info about virus chest

NeymarMessi

no

Thank you so much for all your help, sorry I had so many questions and thank you very much!!  :)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • F-Secure user
edit above...

and a good place to ask questions.    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+a+virus      ;)

NeymarMessi

edit above...

and a good place to ask questions.    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+a+virus      ;)

What do I edit