Author Topic: Offline-Registration: no "mandatory-question"-asterisk at "human check" ...  (Read 3429 times)

Offline Anacunga

Please add an asterisk for "mandatory question" to both of the "human-test"-questions on your offline-register-webpage.

Or are the missing two aserisks "part of the human check" itself? ;)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Offline-Registration: no "mandatory-question"-asterisk at "human check" ...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 01:53:37 PM »
offline-register-webpage?

ROFL! A webpage always need to be online if you want to use it.
You are really not making any sense at all. :P

dark_skeleton

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 04:25:41 PM »
Actually he is. He's talking about offline registration through the website (meaning NOT registering using Avast, on a computer that's about to be registered and running Avast). Also, he has scripts disabled using (most likely) NoScript or a similar browser addon. Therefore he is able to see the following:

(Blocked scripts for a second to check this)

I'm not sure about the asterisk thing though, I don't see a problem with that. Am I missing something, Anacunga?

iroc9555

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 12:19:32 AM »
Funny. I do not have those. I just asked for a license thinking that those question will appear to complete the registration, but no. It registered without any additional questions.

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 10:50:05 AM »
@Eddy: you know yourself too well that you're a big buffoon ... :P

He's talking about offline registration through the website (meaning NOT registering using Avast, on a computer that's about to be registered and running Avast).
Yep ... :D

Also, he has scripts disabled

using (most likely) NoScript or a similar browser addon.
Nope ... but an older Multitab-AddOn-Surface for the IE that lets you generally turn script on and off very easily – and as script not only can cause security flaws, but really makes everything very slow, it's usually turned off and only turned on where really mandatory for not spoiling the page ...

Therefore he is able to see the following: [(pic see above!)]

I'm not sure about the asterisk thing though, I don't see a problem with that.
As the "normal (slightly experienced) user" knows about the meaning of asterisks in such kind of fields, he assumes to have filled everything necessary without giving notice to the two "real-human"-questions.

... sure you could consider the missing asterisks to be more cosmetics than really mandatory – but without them you'll miss the next nag screen more likely – and that isn't nothing; isn't it ... ;)

Am I missing something, Anacunga?
Maybe that it's even more "fun" if you first turn scripting on (so that you don't see the "real-human"-questions and before sending turn it off; then you not only see the red warning, but neither see the "real-human"-questions to answer ... :D ... but that way does not count ... :P

So as a whole: sure you can consider the two missing asterisks to be cosmetics. But as anyway you only see them if scripting is off (and the appear only if scripting is off), I don't consider it to be a big task to put an asterisk there ... :D

dark_skeleton

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 07:53:38 PM »
Funny. I do not have those. I just asked for a license thinking that those question will appear to complete the registration, but no. It registered without any additional questions.
he has scripts disabled using (most likely) NoScript or a similar browser addon.

As the "normal (slightly experienced) user" knows about the meaning of asterisks in such kind of fields, he assumes to have filled everything necessary without giving notice to the two "real-human"-questions.

... sure you could consider the missing asterisks to be more cosmetics than really mandatory – but without them you'll miss the next nag screen more likely – and that isn't nothing; isn't it ... ;)
Oh you meant THESE asterisks, lol. I agree with you, but I believe it's not really important for them to fix it since it's actually, as you said, cosmetic. Also, 99% people won't ever see them since most users have scripts enabled

Maybe that it's even more "fun" if you first turn scripting on (so that you don't see the "real-human"-questions and before sending turn it off; then you not only see the red warning, but neither see the "real-human"-questions to answer ... :D ... but that way does not count ... :P
haha yeah it doesn't, especially since you're only able to do it on your IE addon. NoScript always refreshes the page after enabling or disabling scripts, so it's impossible to reproduce :)

TBH imo they should focus on getting the next build right so it would not be trying to delete all my startup apps every time. Then, they can play with cosmetics.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 08:01:43 PM by dark_skeleton »

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 10:19:11 PM »

Oh you meant THESE asterisks, lol.

I agree with you, but I believe it's not really important for them to fix it since it's actually, as you said, cosmetic. Also, 99% people won't ever see them since most users have scripts enabled
Sure is it questionable whether that could be considered "important" or not in that context ... but IF SOME fields are declared "mandatory" to be filled, all the mandatory fields should be ...

haha yeah it doesn't, especially since you're only able to do it on your IE addon.
:D ... I even wasn't aware of that big advantage of that old piece of software I use ... :)
NoScript always refreshes the page after enabling or disabling scripts, so it's impossible to reproduce :)
There shouldn't be any reason to reaload any page when just turning scripting on or off ... the only thing that is done here is either no longer run any script at all (immediately when turning them off – and making everything faster ... :D ...) – or begin scripting; but as no scripts were loaded, they won't start before you reload any page separately. That's specially very nice when you only need one page with scripts, but have a bunch of other pages open – and those all "keep quiet" ... but that's offtopic :D

TBH imo they should focus on getting the next build right so it would not be trying to delete all my startup apps every time. Then, they can play with cosmetics.
I don't know who is making the webpage; adding these two missing asterisks probably are just a small "pause job" that'll be done in some minutes, if not seconds ... but as said in the thread-opening: maybe it's part of the "human check" itself ... :D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 10:04:11 AM by Anacunga »