Author Topic: Outlook Express - Gmail / Hotmail  (Read 5211 times)

Guilhe

Outlook Express - Gmail / Hotmail
« on: May 19, 2005, 01:29:10 AM »
Hi,

avast! offers support for Gmail and Hotmail in Outlook Express?
If does, how i configure?

Thank u

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: Outlook Express - Gmail / Hotmail
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 02:11:25 AM »
No it doesn't. Hotmail and Gmail are both web mail services, although gmail can be configured to be accessed through Outlook Express. I use gmail without any problems.

Also, gmail uses SSL (Secure Socket Layer) connections and avast! doesn't support them. You can configure avast! though, to check your incomming and outgoing e-mails using Stunnel. Search these forums (you have wonderful SEARCH feature/button up there) by the STUNNEL term and you'll get few threads "speaking" about it...

I can't tell you more since I don't use STUNNEL... sorry  :-\

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 02:58:56 AM »
It is possible to retrieve Hotmail messages and have them delivered as a POP3 mail stream to Outlook Express and have that POP3 stream scanned by Avast (just like any other POP3 mail account).  It does require you to use a third party program to extract the mail from Hotmail via HTTP and convert it to POP3.

Such third party programs are available for free on the web (see MrPostman or FreePops for example).

This has nothing to do with whether you pay for your Hotmail account.  It works for any Hotmail or MSN account. 

Your Hotmail account may be accessible directly from OE if you pay for it or if it is a free account that was granted continued free access by MSN.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 05:23:33 AM by alanrf »

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 03:10:04 AM »
Yes, that's true, I am accessing my Hotmail account through Outlook Express and I never ever paid for their service... I am using it more than 5 years by now...

But... Guilhe asked this:

So I answered to him... avast! doesn't offer support for those two accounts directly. He has to use some third party utilities like I mentioned STUNNEL for example... otherwise, his accounts won't be scanned at all...
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 03:33:19 AM »

For GMail, take a look here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=10428.0 to see how to set up secure email with avast!.
For Hotmail, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13089 and http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13189

Welcome to avast  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 05:21:28 AM »
Technical has learned to walk and become little Tech!

Yeeeaaaa!!

Oh and Guilhe ... if you are confused by the Hotmail stuff, let me know I will try to assist.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 05:44:25 AM »
I assume (but do not know for certain) that Hotmail retrieved via WebDav in OE is scanned for viruses by the Hotmail system. It is unclear to me whether the WebDav stream is, at present, scanned by Avast. 

I suspect for Hotmail, I am fairly certain for Yahoo that the mail messages which are accessed by HTTP in their "raw" form from the mail stores by third party programs are still potential sources of viruses.  It is therefore important that users of these programs ensure that the POP3 stream is scanned by a reputable antivirus program like Avast before it reaches their mail client.

Typically for these third party programs, access is via a specified port on localhost.  It is necessary that users of such programs add the port number to the POP3 box in the "Redirect" tab of the customization screen of the Avast Internet Mail Provider and that they make sure to uncheck the  "Ignore local communication" box. This will ensure that Avast becomes involved in the delivery process and scans the incoming POP3 mail stream.