Author Topic: Flash Player update by service  (Read 1843 times)

Offline Djfe

Flash Player update by service
« on: October 12, 2013, 04:23:01 PM »
Today I noticed by updating The Adobe Reader through Avast that it automatically opens the Readers Update screen but if I want to update my Flash Player it opens a page in the browser instead
as far as I know the Flash Player installs a service on the pc that searches for updates at the pc start
-> wouldn't it be easier to just start this service or do the developers fear that this might not work on pcs with this service disabled or does it just take too long?

another thing I noticed was that the update of chrome through Avast doesn't work for me -> I have the Google Update Service disabled though -> is this causing my problems? (I just see some programms that look like commandlines opening and closing)

other than that I'm glad to have this functionality build into Avast 'cause it checks for updates for programms to enhance security by updates which can close exploits and I don't have to open another programm manually to that

SoccerFan707

Re: Flash Player update by service
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 04:35:35 PM »
Adobe has several security holes and ALL of there products needs to be updated when needed. Services and start up items can easily be disabled or set to manual. Do not deny updates or you are at a security risk.

Offline Djfe

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 04:48:26 PM »
that's true but those people which have the service disabled would still be redirected to the download site

if Avast can check whether the service is enabled or not it could start it to update the Flash Player instead of redirecting the user to the dl-site

of course there are people, who clicked the update at the pc start away, or people, who use hibernation or energy saving modes and barely restart their pc at all, so that the service normally doesn't get started, if the pc is waked up, or people, who have no internet connection at the start of their pc, so that the service cannot search for updates

so in my opinion such a function would make sense and save some time

another nice effect is probably that you cannot miss the checkbox for mcafee anymore and install unwanted bloatware... (which Avast normally tries to notify you off ;-))

SoccerFan707

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 04:52:38 PM »
Monitoring services and start up items are not part of any antivirus. Keeping your pc up to date is your own responsibility actually. If you really want a great software updater then use Secunia PSI.

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

O_RLY

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 01:49:20 AM »
I have the same issue as Djfe for few days/weeks, if I correctly understood Adobe has already announced Flash Player 11.9.900xyz, but it's still on beta, that can explain why regular download doesn't work for the moment

but if I registered now on this forum is because of what I read then, it's not the first time I see answers like "it's not under our juridiction / the issue is not ours so there is no issue / it's your fault / we never say we're always right but just admit avast always never be wrong" you know, that always sounds like corporate bad faith, kind of hot potato game as it's a heresy to blame Avast!
I can't say I often had problems with Avast! products, it happened few times... but everytime I searched these forums to find a solution or a similar description of my problem I saw comments like that, I really wonder what's wrong

anyway, if it is the sole responsibility of the user to update their software, why develop a software updater and incorporate the products? after all it is not the role of antivirus to update the softwares or even alert the user, what's the point of simply say "you know, it's like that. on adobe side thay already announced a version 11.9.900xxx but the -legitimate- way Avast! leads you to update doesn't allow yet to proceed because the dowload link on adobe website leads you back to their homepage, so you just have to wait, keep an eye on Flash Player releases, and then update when it is possible, the warning in the Software Updater will then disappear", it would have made a bit more accurate and useful answer, and far less superlicious IMHO.

my 2cts fed up